We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy new year and heres my question!

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Happy new year and heres my question!

Hi all,hope you survived the celebrations and good health and safe travel to all in 2013.

Were looking forward to arriiving in dalyan some time in may(4th visit-truly bitten by the bug!!) but have thought we may go to istanbul first for a few days and then travel to dalyan.

Does anyone have any suggestions/ advice on this?

Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jed

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Happy new year and heres my question!

Hi Jed, We have done this with no problems. A two week holiday in the middle of May, flying to Istanbul from Manchester , staying 4 nights there, then flying to Dalaman for 10 nights, returning to Manchester via Istanbul, all with Turkish Airlines (good flight times), will cost £300 per person for all flights. You can book flights,hotels and transfers easily online. Go for it! Do your research before you go and I am sure you would have a memorable holiday

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
706 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Happy new year and heres my question!

I wouldn't bother, we did this booked a weekend in Istanbul, left after a day, awful place, pick pockets everyehere, couldn't wait to escape, after talking to our turkish friends in Dalyan, they said, "We did tell you it was awful" should have listened to the locals. If you love Dalyan you will hate istanbul, if you have to stop over because of your flight just stay in the airport hotel and hit the bar, much safer, and you won't have to endure the awful traffic and drivers!

nottingham/dalyan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Happy new year and heres my question!

We've done this too (Easyjet from Luton to Istanbul) and then down to Dalaman via an internal flight with Turkish Air. You don't have to come back via Istanbul, we just got a direct flight back to Luton with Monarch (or whoever). You can book Turkish Air flights easily on their website.

We enjoyed Istanbul. Its a capital city - big, noisy, full of people and traffic, and no doubt there are a few pickpockets around - but I can't agree with vonone - if you like cities at all, its worth seeing. I never felt unsafe, unwelcome or overwhelmed.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
706 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Happy new year and heres my question!

Fair enough, depends what you like, we both hated it and am happy to just visit the airport, I really got a shock at the amount of turkish people in Dalyan who said the same as me, as for pickpockets in big ciries, would never get them here they would get there hands chopped off......lol

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Happy new year and heres my question!

Loved Istanbul, very vibrant city. Have to say, we didn't come across any pickpockets, but as in every city, take sensible steps to avoid being targeted. We wandered far and wide during the day and at night too and felt safe doing so.

We stayed in Sultanahmet, which is very close to the Blue Mosque, and other visitor attractions.

I would say the only place we encounterd any slight nuisance was from the hawkers and 'wanna be guides' around the Blue Mosque. But if you're firm they soon get the message.

Most enjoyable experience was eating at some of the small cafes that run up from the Bosphorus area, most don't serve alcohol but the food is good and very cheap. Also enjoyed the Topkapi Palace and the Grand Bazaar.

We shall definitely be repeating the experience again. Also Turkish Airlines are a quality airline and the price can sometimes work out cheaper than the so called budget airlines.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Happy new year and heres my question!

You can't compare Istanbul with Dalyan, chalk and cheese come to mind. We love Dalyan and its laidback attitude but wanted to experience the other side of Turkey. Istanbul was certainly an experience !!! Did the usual tourist things, Blue Mosque,Topkapi Palace, Bosphorus ferry to the Black Sea end and back,Dolmabahçe Palace, Grand Bazzar and other places too. Just crossing a road was a life threatening experience. Traffic lights and pedestrian crossings don't mean a thing to Istanbul drivers. Turkish food in little out of the way places was divine. A good phrase book and map plus lots of research on the Internet meant we got the most out of our few days there and when you get to Dalyan afterwards, it will seem even more relaxing than ever. As regards pickpockets and security, take some extra precautions such as body wallets and being careful where you go as you would even in a strange UK city. Ours was a holiday with a difference that we will remember forever.

England
Level Contributor
379 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Happy new year and heres my question!

Have done this trip a couple of times and can't wait to go again (maybe on the May itinerary), we also stay in Sultanahmet as most of the interesting places are within walking distance. We took the hop on hop off bus around the city as it takes you to places you wouldn't normally see - it has an excellent commentary about the sites the bus passes (about 14 languages available). One tip worth knowing is that most of the tourist places are closed on Mondays!

Take the train and tram from the airport into the city - only costs about 2-4 lira.

After your visit enjoy the peace and slow pace of Dalyan.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Happy new year and heres my question!

Hi all,

many thanks for the useful comments,

I'll have a look at turkish airways and see what we can find.

I'll no doubt be asking further questions but thanks to you all fr your comments .you can always rely on dalyan forum for good info,

Many thanks

Jed

Slough, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Happy new year and heres my question!

I love Istanbul and travel alone and have never had any problems.

I, too, stay in Sultanahmet, which makes it very easy to get to all the sights.

In addition to the usual tourist sights, take the ferry to the Asian side or, If you have time, a trip down the Bosphorus to the Black Sea is a good one to do.

Turkey Travel Planner is a good site to use - it gives suggestions for itineraries of different numbers of days.

Go for it and enjoy!!

Wigan,Lancs
Level Contributor
202 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Happy new year and heres my question!

Do it,Istanbul is a fantastic city,we did this last March,2 nights in Istanbul then internal flight to Dalyan.We flew back to Manchester direct with Easyjet.

Going via Istanbul both ways this March,but won't have time to go into the city.I'd stayed in Sultanhammet on the 3 occasions I've been to Istanbul,the best place for the main attractions.

Edited: 4:08 pm, January 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations