We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

nottingham/dalyan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

DALYAN TRAVELLER ESSENTIALS - AN OVERVIEW FOR NEW VISITORS

This post is designed to answer some frequent general questions about Dalyan. This post will not include info about eating/drinking out or excursions. These will be covered in parts 3 and 4.

AIRPORT

Dalyan’s local airport is Dalaman. Transfer time is about 25minutes. On arrival you need to go to the visa booth and buy your tourist visa for £10 per person before going to passport control. Its often said that you must pay with an individual £10 note per person but I have paid with a £20 for 2 before with no problems. I wouldn’t chance a £50 note or Scottish notes though.

There is a 24hour duty free shop next to the baggage reclaim – prices are nothing special however.

On return, plan on not buying food in the airport because it’s a rip off. You can take food through with you, but not fluids. I have been delayed a few times here, but they are pretty good at handing out food every 3 hours, usually a KFC meal etc – listen for the announcements. Sadly seating is limited, but you can sit in the food hall without buying anything, nobody gets moved on. If you are facing a long delay consider the VIP lounge. You just pay on the door and you get an unlimited food/soft drink supply (although nothing special food wise…), comfy sofas, English TV and internet access. The sign says you can stay for 3 hours but I have been in here considerably longer on 2 occasions – the staff don’t seem to notice/care.

For independent transfers, I recommend www.kaunostours.com. There are plenty of others. Taxis are available as well, but they won’t necessarily know where every hotel or villa is so make sure you know where you are going. On return, you don’t need to arrive any earlier than 2 hours before departure.

If you are getting into Dalyan late and need supplies, I know of at least one minimarket open 24hours, and you will pass several on the way, just ask for a brief stop. There are several informal café/restaurants open very late in town – also many bars are open until 3 in the morning.

MONEY

Cash is king. Exchange your sterling at either the single bank (on the roundabout with the Turtle fountain) or the post office (on the main drag). The bank keeps normal office hours (weekdays only, closes for lunch, closed on public holidays) but the post office is open late into the evening, midnight I believe in high season. Travelers’ cheques can only be changed at the bank. There are many cash machines, mainly around the market area. Exchange rates are always better in resort than at home so don’t change too much before arrival. www.doviz.com seems to show about the same rate you can get in Dalyan – usually about 0.1 better than at home. Check your change – some people have reported a bit of “rounding down” at the post office, although don’t get confused as there is a small commission charged. Transfers can usually be paid for in Sterling, as can excursions. Some places take cards, some not – look for the visa/mastercard symbols displayed.

WEATHER/WHEN TO COME

Dalyans season is May-October. Out of this period you will find many places closed. There is a bit of a winding down process towards the end of October too.

Weather is hottest in mid June through July and early August, cooling down a little in late August. Typical midsummer highs can be 35+deg. This is why almost everywhere has aircon! Fortunately they is usually a breeze running through the vally. Nightime in midsummer is a steamy 20+deg, so no extra layer required. Maybe a fan!

Mid season (May/early June/September) expect daytimes to be from 25-30deg and night from 15-20, depending on how early or late you are. You may need a light coat or sweater for late evening, or if the wind gets up.

There is the possibily of some rain or cloudy days early May or late September/early October, but rarely enough to spoil your holiday. Late October can be dodgy – you can get longer periods of rain if you are unlucky, so I don’t recommend later than the first 2 weeks in October.

JABS

None are officially required for entry. Check with your GP what may be recommended.

SELF CATERING

No problems, there are plenty of supermarkets. Migros is the largest and stocks more brands from home, although the locals regard it as a little more expensive. As a general rule, if its eaten by the locals it will be cheap, if its imported for the tourists it will be expensive. Given what most people will buy, budget on about the same to feed yourself at home and you’ll be fine. Try the local little butchers for meat, the bakers for bread, and there is a great little shop in the market place for fruit and veg. Market day is also a good opportunity for fruit and veg, and cheese. You won’t find much Pork, Muslims don’t eat it. Tea bags seem poor here – so bring your own. Other than that, you should find everything you will need, with the possible exception of some unique british food items like marmite and gravy granules. Tap water is fine for boiling and brushing your teeth, drink bottled which is very cheap.

MOZZIES

Buzz buzz…. No getting away from it, take precautions. Use repellant spray in the evening (dusk onwards), use plug in killers inside, and don’t open windows at night with the lights on. If you are out late, re-apply repellant after about 4 hours. You don’t need to worry in the daytime, and they don’t seem any more or less at any particular time of year. Fortunately they don’t have malaria here.

SAFETY/HASSLE

There is little hassle in Dalyan – just a few guys who will try to get you to go into their restaurant. Just keep walking if you find it annoying.

There have been a few burglaries at the back end of the last 2 seasons, effecting only privately rented villas and apartments. Not much you can do except take valuables out with you, or hide them well, and make sure you lock up and leave a light on. When you are out, avoid telling anyone local the exact location of your villa or apartment just in case.

I have heard no reports of any personal attacks. I feel safer walking around Dalyan than at home.

Any all female groups might attract a little more attention from barmen etc than would be normal at home, but most seem to enjoy the attention as far as I can tell. Don’t worry too much, this isn’t Marmaris, Dalyan does not attract a huge number of young people so would be a poor choice for lotharios.

CATS AND DOGS

Dalyan has a few street dogs that wonder around. Most are tagged and neutered, and are friendly and harmless, otherwise they wouldn’t survive. Also some are owned and allowed to wander. They don’t go around in packs. They will only usually approach if you encourage them, so just leave them alone if you don’t like dogs, and fuss em’ up if you do. Please don’t encourage them into restaurants though or they might get a boot up the backside from the owner.

Cats are fairly common and will often slink around the edge of restaurants and under tables. Some live at the restaurants and are looked after – these will be the fat ones! Again if you give them no reason the hang around they will go. If you drop food for them they will not.

LOOS

Generally OK, take out a pack of tissues in case of no paper. You can put paper down most toilets in Dalyan, unless the building has a narrow pipe connection to the mains, in which case there will be a notice and a bin for paper. There are some public toilets by the mosque. All are modern, sit down types.

You will notice a little pipe under the seat. This is to wash your bottom with, and there is a valve usually on the wall behind if you want to play with it. Gentlemen please note that the water will normally squirt the back of whatever may be dangling down and will be cold, ensuring you shoot off the seat and end up with wet trousers. You have been warned……..!

Mentioned in this post
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
nottingham/dalyan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

Hi all

The above post was created as a Dalyan forum FAQ. Again feel free to respond, correct any errors, add anything else which might be helpful, but again please stay on topic - essentially everything except restaurants, bars, entertainment, excursions and things to do, which will follow.

Regards

Tidus

Cheshire
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

Absolutely brilliant!

Just a word about the dreaded mozzies. I apply sin kov during the daytime hours. I got well and truly bitten the very first visit to Dalyan whilst exploring the town during the day. It may not be that way for everyone, but I would err on the side of caution.

Again, great job Tidus.

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

They winged bitey b**tardsgo for me in day light hours, most of my bites however seem to occur late afternoon just before the sun sets.

So I sin kov all day long.

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

Excellent, and really useful information. I hope you leave me something to write on return after our holiday in may! ...... I am sure i will find a bit to say, being a chatterbox!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
772 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

Agreed. SinKov is king. I usually attract them. Last year - NIL bites!!

Salisbury
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

Hi, Could you please let me know where I can get this Sin Kov? My husband and I are going there in September.

Thanks,

Telma

Salisbury
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

Hi,

Do you know where can I get this Sin Kov? I am going to Dalyan in September and better safe than sorry.

Thanks,

Telma

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
422 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

Hi Telma, you can get Sin Kov at any of the chemists/apothecaries and I think most of the supermarkets in Dalyan. What most tend to do is take some repellent you're familiar with, with you and then stock up once you're there . Personally I tend to use Jungle Strength stuff after being bitten horrendously on my first visit - al my own fault for taking a walk by the river on the first night and being too excited to 'bother' with mossie guard! Shall never, ever make that mistake again!

Annie x

Cheshire
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

yes you can get sin kov most anywhere in Dalyan. Even some of the restaurants along the river have it on the table to ward the little blighters off. I usually stock up and even bring a bottle home, then take it with us on the next trip, I know I'm a bit paranoid, but I actually put it on while I'm waiting for the luggage to come around. You know that old saying "once bitten" ........ well they're not going to get me again, and so far so good, haven't really been bothered with them.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A guide to Dalyan part 2 - visitor essentials

Sinkov is awesome. Have no idea if its bad for me, but it definately works. I'm not very attractive to mossies, but my friend was savaged before we reached the hotel from the airport, and that was during the day!! On the positive side, she didn't find her many bites itchy, just unsightly! SInkov even worked for her.

Forget Avon Skin so soft, marmite, boots after sun with insect repellant, save your money and just get the local SInkov!

Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations