We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - not sure what to do, any thoughts welcome!

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stourport on...
Level Contributor
301 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire - not sure what to do, any thoughts welcome!

Hi,

Will be back in Turkey in June and this time we want to hire a car and get out and about a bit more.

I have been reading reviews on here and the Turkish Living Forum to find out recommendations and prices etc.

Mehmet @ Pandora Car Hire/Dalaman Car Hire has been recommended a few times on another forum and I have had a look at his site.

I know that I will have to make the ultimate decision but I would appreciate any views on the following;

1) I am used to driving a Ford Focus and to make life easier I was going to opt for that. However, this seems much more expensive than the other choices and I am not sure that I can justify the difference in cost. E.G, For 17 days the Focus works out at £544 (all in) compared to £272 for a Fiat Albea or a Renault Clio. However, I have no idea what a Fiat Albea is and how straight forward it is/comfortable to drive. We will be going up and down the coast - particularly in our second week when we will leaving our base in Dalyan to a base in Patara.

2)Anyone on here used Pandora Car Hire or have any other first class recommendations? The reason that I may appear overly cautious with this is that we had a very bad experience a number of years ago with a car hire company in Marmaris which has put me off ever since.

What are the roads like to drive between Dalyan and Patara/Kalkin/Kas? Until our bad experience I was quite comfortable driving around - I have driven from Marmaris to Datca for example - and I really want to get my confidence back and be able to have more freedom to roam.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire - not sure what to do, any thoughts welcome!

I would recommend Metro Car Rental in Dalaman - www.metrocarrental.com - we have used them several times a year for the past 4 years or so and they are always utterly reliable and professional and the cars spotless and in extremely good condition. They would meet you at Dalaman Airport and drive you to their office in town to do the paperwork, and then you can continue on to Dalyan. Alternatively if you didn't want the car for your whole stay, they would deliver it to you in Dalyan. They offer the Fiat Albea and the Renault Clio (both of which cost EUR 26 per day for 7 days) while the Ford Focus is in a different group and is EUR 40 per day - must be a much bigger and more expensive car I suppose. If you emailed them they would quote you in Sterling so you could compare better.

Don't worry about the roads - up and down the coast to Patara is very easy. You just get on the main West - East, Mugla to Antalya No. 400 highway, and just about 20 mins or 25 kms past Fethiye there is the Kemer turnoff which is the inland road to Antalya, whilst you want to continue along the coast road to Antalya. It is very well signposted, and a nice wide road, with plenty of overtaking lanes etc. It is also very scenic - with some lovely stop offs before Fethiye looking down over the bay. The roads leading off to the ancient sites of Tlos, Pinara, Xanthos etc are also well marked with brown signs. From Dalyan you could also visit Sarigerme - there is a lovely beach there. The only main advice is to avoid driving at night if you do not know the route.

Hope you have a great holiday!

Stourport on...
Level Contributor
301 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire - not sure what to do, any thoughts welcome!

Thanks Attaqul!

I feel more confident now!

Have booked the Clio and will start planning my trips out! Can't wait!

3. Re: Car Hire - not sure what to do, any thoughts welcome!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Dalyan
Recent Conversations