We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooms for rent in the Sighisoara Citadel

Oregon
Level Contributor
26 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Rooms for rent in the Sighisoara Citadel

We stumbled on a great find in the hilltop fortress (The Citadel) of this city. There are some hotels in the Citadel but this was much better than any of the hotels we saw.

These rooms are located next to the Citadel wall and just meters from the Cizmarilor Tower (one of the 12 watch towers). Between Marius and his teenage son they speak English, German, Romanian and French. We paid 20 Euro per night per room. There are 4 rooms in a newly built wing with comfortable furnishings. The place is spotless and smells like fresh air all the time. The 4 rooms on 2 floors share 2 bathrooms (1 on each landing). The rooms offer different combinations of different size beds and each has a TV. Breakfast is not included. You can pet the family dog for free. We were very comfortable and would

definitely stay here again. To truly experience the Citadel and

Sighisoara properly a stay in the Citadel is recommended. Walking the Citadel at night is great. It's very different from day time when the place is crowded with tourists and the place is in full swing with the souvenir stands, shops and outdoor cafes doing a booming business. The Citadel is only 3 kilometers from the train station (but it's almost straight up) and a taxi was about $1 to get there. My husband and I are in our 40s and not backpackers. We were much more comfortable with Marius than we would have been in the nearby hotels (which had too many bad reviews to be acceptable to us)

Tel#+40265-771-203

San Diego
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rooms for rent in the Sighisoara Citadel

I would agree with Hayesworld (above). Marius can also be reached at marius_adam at yahoo.com. He is not fluent in English but can make it work. We stayed with him at the end of April 2007. He, his wife Lia and his mother-in-law Mama are sweet people, scrupulously honest and keen to serve you.

They don't do breakfast but an inexpensive b'kfast place is the Hostel just round the corner (30 seconds' walk).

We are travel editors (eric at ericandersontravel.com) and would certainly stay there again though, in reality ,Sighisoara is the town you visit just once in a lifetime for the almost-mystical experience of going back five centuries. Because of the Vlad the Impaler background (he was born there in the 15th century), I'm told one should read "The Historian" now available in paperback; I bought it a few days ago in hardcover for $4 at Amazon.

Comment: the train trip from Bucharest takes about 4 1/2 hours on the 7AM departure. A first class ticket R/T costs about US$40. Food wasn't available on that journey. The train stops for only three minutes! We were so slow it moved off as we clambered down the steep steps, so we ended up at the station beyond and lost two hours!

Marius accepts Euros which currency Romania adopted Jan 1, 2007 when it joined the EU. The stores and restaurants don't deal with Euros so you need local currency (Lei; 1 UD$ = approx 2.5 Lei). The museums in town are not very helpful re costs. They charge 4-5 Lei for entrance but charge an additional 30Lei if you want to photograph (40 Lei if it's a camcorder). The Historical Arms Museum with its three rooms didn't seem worth a photo fee of 30 Lei. It was emphatic re those photo charges so we simply stuck our head in, saw everything was behind glass and didn't even pay to go in.

However, the History Museum at the bottom left of the clocktower is well worh a visit. The cashier eyed my digital SLR balefully but didn't give me a hard time the way her counterpart did at the Arms Museum. We paid 5Lei each; took a lot of images.

Eric Anderson, San Diego, Calif.

Italy
Level Contributor
8 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rooms for rent in the Sighisoara Citadel

I was there on the 19th october, and i was approched by the kind mother in law in the street. I agree they were very kind. But the train station is no more than 700 metres from the citadel, not at all 3 kilometres!

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rooms for rent in the Sighisoara Citadel

Despite of having experience in 2 different places in Sighisoara (of which one in Citadel area, and other- rural place 10min drive out of town),

THANKS to you all I have added knowledge for one other place there.

Your experience should be even much more useful for those who've never been there.

Thanks a lot for sharing, and also for the good words about the people :)

I take the liberty to clarify one tiny detail of one post above, to prevent possible misunderstanding.

It's in regard to "Euros which currency Romania adopted Jan 1, 2007 when it joined the EU."

No one of countries joined to EU adopted to Euros immediately along with joining. It takes usually 3-5 years.

Euro is not the currency of Romania. Still, Romanian currency is RON. You'll see prices announced in Euros (especially regarding properties and wherever tourist visits are typical) and your Euros will be accepted in some places (as well as GBP, $) but you can't make payments in Euro in any place. The official legal currency for legal payments is RON.

I also paid my regular accommodation in Bucharest in Euro but I can have the Euro-price in add-on to the invoice, while the invoice itself is in RON- otherwise it would be not legal

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rooms for rent in the Sighisoara Citadel

"you can't make payments in Euro in any place"---proper wording is "you can't make payments in Euro in EVERY place"

5. Re: Rooms for rent in the Sighisoara Citadel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, October 12, 2009