We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapa tour price - what do you think?

Manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Sapa tour price - what do you think?

Hi all

We want to do a Sapa tour & Halong bay tour when we arrive in April but I'd like to have these booked before we arrive - not booking much else thanks to your very helpful advice!! - but I'd like to make sure these are booked as I'd be gutted to miss out if the trains are booked or what ever.

I've just received this tour quote off a lovely lady at TT but the price seems quite steep to me. Just wondered if you could let me know if this is quite a reasonable price or should I try elsewhere?

Day 1 - Overnight sleeper on Tulico to Lao Cai

Day 2 - Meet guide 6am & transfer by car to Royal View Hotel for Breakfast - time alone to wander - 1200 meet guide for lunch & visit Lao Cai & Ta Van Village - Dinner in hotel & o/night

Day 3 - AM time alone - 1300 meet guide for lunch & visit Ta Phin - transfer to Lao Cai where dropped offed - dinner by ourselves & o/night train return to Lao Cai on Tulico.

$170 USD Per Person

What do you reckon? And be warned, i'm a sheep and so will follow whatever advice you give!

Thanks guys!

A

Trekking Sapa
Multi-day Tours, Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Vietnam Nomad Trails - Day Tours
Bike Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Trails of Mountain Travel
Eco Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapa tour price - what do you think?

Hi

I think the price depends on the services you book. In this case, you should caculate how much for the train, car, hotel, tour guide, meals and other applicable fees such as entrance tickets.

From Hanoi to Sapa, train ticket normally costs you from 15 to 30 USD for one way, then car from Lao Cai railway station to Sapa. It is 30km so it should be around 20 USD for one way by air conditioned car, then the hotel that you mentioned ranges from 18 USD to 25 USD depends on type of room. 20 USD per day for tour guide, 5 USD for a meal and a small amount of money for entrance ticket + service charge so you could estimate how much you should pay.

It also depends on the time you travel and how many people you travel with in your group.

I hope that you could find out the answer for yourself.

Many cheers,

Hooded Heifer

2. Re: Sapa tour price - what do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:08 am, January 18, 2007
Palm Cove, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapa tour price - what do you think?

Hi nearly 30,

I understand where you are coming from.

“ but I'd like to make sure these are booked as I'd be gutted to miss out if the trains are booked or what ever”

Hooded heifers advise is good, if you use search on this forum u will find on land prices of rail, transport to sapa, hotel etc. That way, you can do the sums. For example, you may decided to organise your own hotel or guide.

I do not know who TT is, but as any business they should/expect charge a commission. If they can itemized costings for you may help,. Then you could maybe decide if this is a fair price to pay to make sure your trip on X day will happen .( tip. never pre pay or deposit )

BTW thought you were a kiwi LOL

Hope I helped, be reassured, there are some posters that like to free wheel it, others happy to prebook.

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapa tour price - what do you think?

helllllloooo

you are on the ball alice ! lol lol lol

batt

Manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapa tour price - what do you think?

Thanks for the info Hoodedheifer!

It looks like it may be quite a bit cheaper to do it myself instead of being so lazy. I suppose I just need to do a bit more scouring of the internet - it's a good job I'm quiet at work!

One more thing then - is it fairly easy to book a guide while at Sapa? Or I think i've read that you can actually book daily trips through your hotel so i could do that?

Alicie - Kiwi??????? !!

Thanks for your advice though!

London
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sapa tour price - what do you think?

Hi Nearly-30

We are just going through the process of booking for Sapa and have the following costs

Tulico train $20 each for soft sleeper 4 bedded

Tulico train $40 each for soft sleeper 2 bedded

Hotel

Baguette and chocolate $18 per night

direct e-mail hoasuaschoolsp@hn.vnn.vn

or

Royal View $20 for deluxe room or $22 with balcony thru a Hotel in Hanoi

We are leaning toward Baguette and chocolate as this is a training establishment for ex street kids so it is giving something back.

No prices back for guides yet, but I have read that is easy to pick one there.

Usefull website http://www.sapa-tourism.com/

BTW I have had a price from Tropical Sails direct for the Lagoon Explorer of $120 inc pick up from hotel in Hanoi

Regards

Phil

Palm Cove, Australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sapa tour price - what do you think?

Hey there Bat Girl !!!

Yeah, I surprised myself.

C I have been taking notice

Love the fact that have the choose of prebooking, DIYing or semiDIYing & even change my mind when get there.

Nearly 30

Re: sheep, very bad NZ / OZ humour. sorry.

Manchester
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sapa tour price - what do you think?

Thanks PhilReed

Would you mind me asking who you've booked your train tickets through?

Also, this might sound like a daft question, but how do you know you'll actually get your tickets when you get to Hanoi? I mean, is through a travel agents in Hanoi who you can go and see & pay when you get there?

I've also had a quote from Tropical Sails but thought it said $345 dollars P/Person which took me back a bit, until I realised that this is if you want to Charter the whole boat!

Have you decided where you'll be staying in Hanoi?

A

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sapa tour price - what do you think?

hi nearly 30

have you tried tonkins travel yet , they will book everything for you and even bring your tickets to you when you arrive in hanoi . no payment until you get there either and no credit card details given to secure your spot.

Tonkin Travel <tonkintravel@fpt.vn>

cheers

batt

London
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sapa tour price - what do you think?

A

I have reserved rooms at the Golden Sun Hotel having struck up a rapport with Mrs Moon the manager there.

Note; Reserved, not booked this gives me the option of walking away if the accomodation offered is not up to scratch.

Moon also offered me the Royal View Sapa and the train ticket prices, she offered me the Lagoon Explorer at $145 which I am politely turning down.

I don't know for sure that I will get my train tickets when I get to Hano, but since I won't have paid for them I am not unduly worried.

Tropical sails just want you to fill in a form and say they will visit you at your hotel to get payment the day before your trip.

Hope this helps and isn't confusing.

8 Weeks today untill take off.

PS my friends call me Phil

Regards

Phil