We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long should I spend in Sapa?

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
How long should I spend in Sapa?

I'm traveling to Sapa in September and I want to do some hiking. How long should I spend there?

Warners Bay...
Level Contributor
463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long should I spend in Sapa?

Minimum 2 nights and that does not include the night train up there and the night train back to Hanoi. Sapa is beautiful if you want to include a trip out to the Bac Ha Markets to see the Flower Hmong you will need to time your trip to include Sunday. Leave Hanoi on the Friday night train arrive early Saturday morning in Lao Cai for your transfer up to Sapa or you could go directly to Bac Ha spend Saturday night there for the markets on Sunday then get a transfer out to Sapa which is around 2-3 hrs by car to Sapa .

Cheers Sylvia

Sapa
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long should I spend in Sapa?

Definitely you will need at least 3 nights 2 days and more time can be extended if you would love to stay here. September is always a good time to travel to Sapa when the rice field is yellow in the harvest. The weather is pleasant for trek to the remote villages. The combination with homestay or market will be a really good choice for this journey.

Cheers!

Sapa Sunshine Travel.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long should I spend in Sapa?

Hi Taylorsheahahn,

For Sapa during September I have to say that this is amazing time in Sapa.

I would recommend you a Itinerary with detail below:

Night 1: Hanoi - Overnight train to Lao Cai City

Day 1: Lao Cai - Love Waterfall - Muong Hoa Valley - Sapa

Day 2: Sapa - Suoi Ho - Matra - Ta Phin - Lao Cai - Night train back to Hanoi

Cheer!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long should I spend in Sapa?

Dear Taylor,

Thats a difficult question to answer because we all look for different things out of a holiday destination. Kim and I travelled with an Australian friend a couple of years back and spent 5 days in Sapa, not including the trip up and back and wished we had stayed longer but plan to do it again. Living in HCMC I am lucky to have a Vietnam Drivers License so we were able to hire motorbikes and travelled extensively in the area. But you can hire a local to drive you around on his motorbike and therefore go much further afield seeing places that most visitors miss out on. Even though I am an experienced bike rider I still came a cropper on some water crossings and was grateful I was wearing protective gear and leather jacket. It can be quite cool up in the mountains then surprisingly warm deep in the valleys during the day but it gets really chilly after the sun goes down.

You will experience some of the most spectacular scenery and its well worth it.

Warm regards Pierre.

PS: We stayed in the Pinocchio Hotel at very reasonable rates.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g311304-d158028…

12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long should I spend in Sapa?

Dear Taylor,

I think 4 days are the best, because you shoud stay on a train for 2 nights (good time for sleep).

Sapa is a place highly recommended :D

Have a nice day!

6. Re: How long should I spend in Sapa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, June 30, 2014
sapa
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long should I spend in Sapa?

I agree with #5, with 3days in Sapa you can do hikking 2nights at the villages.

What should bring: Passport, towels, change of clothes, sun block, sun glasses, sun hat, insect repellent, proper hiking shoes and rain coat.

Have a good trip

8. Re: How long should I spend in Sapa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, July 01, 2014
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long should I spend in Sapa?

I would recommend 4 nights 3 days ( 2nights on train, 2 nights in Sapa). Hence, you take the night train, you will have 3 days to enjoy Sapa. Try to spend 2 days in Sapa for trekking, 1 day for Bac Ha market ( on Sunday only). Sapa is so beautiful in Sept.

Have a great trip !

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How long should I spend in Sapa?

IHi,

I will be in Sapa in early September for a few days. Is it easy to find a hotel on arrival or should I book?

Thanks for any advice.

Get answers to your questions about Sapa