We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a local guide for one day

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
adelaide
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a local guide for one day

Hi all, we are training into Sapa in may, looking to hire a local guide for a day, time poor on this trip as heading to Halong next.

Can anyone share a guide they used and what costs?

We look to trek around Sapa and take in as much as we can, will return on our next trip

Will

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a local guide for one day

Bill,

Use the search box and type in "guide" to search the Sapa forum.

Check the posts in 2014 first.

Regards,

John

Sapa
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a local guide for one day

The cost for a local guide is about $US17/day with light and easy trek. The hard trek needs you to pay more for them. As you have a limited time for visiting Sapa, you should plan, then tell a guide the schedule and places you want to go.

adelaide
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a local guide for one day

Thanks, we arrive on the train from Hanoi morning of the 8th then leave the evening of the 10th, do you know the quality of the guides from the tourism centre in sapa , the forums don't have much via sapa guides

adelaide
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a local guide for one day

Thank you foe the reply, we have two days, we are seeking to see the countryside and some villages, arrive morning of the 15th and leave late on the 16th, what could we see?

Sapa
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a local guide for one day

2 days can cover the amazing trek from Sapa/Taphin/Cat Cat or Y Linh Ho, Lao Chai, Tavan village. But it will depend how far you can walk in a day, then make a suitable trekking route.

Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a local guide for one day

Hi there

My husband and I just returned from a trek with Pham (May Pham Ly). We did a 2 day tour with Pham and 1 night homestay with her (which I'd highly recommend). She is a honest and reliable young lady (and mother of 2) from the village with exceptional spoken English. I would absolutely recommend that you get in touch with her to see if she can take you for a day trek. She grew up in the village and knows the ins and outs, short cuts and scenic routes!

A previous traveller and created a website for her …wordpress.com/reviews-on-tripadvisor/ which has her contact details.

adelaide
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a local guide for one day

Hi Amy, many thanks

8. Re: Looking for a local guide for one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, May 04, 2014
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
77 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a local guide for one day

Hi, My wife and I used a local guide named Pham. She was AMAZING! We hired her for 4 days and also stayed with her and her family in a homestay. She speaks excellent English and knows a lot about the region.

Her contact info is: maypham.tourguide@gmail.com

Here is a video of the homestay: www.youtube.com/watch…

Enjoy your time!

Sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a local guide for one day

Hi, I'm hoping to book the home stay for a family of 4. And would really appreciate it if you could message me a rough idea of the cost for the overnight home stay.. Thanks Karen