We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-arranged tour or self organized?

Norway
Level Contributor
147 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-arranged tour or self organized?

Hi!

We want to spend a few days in Sapa and are a little unsure whether to book a full tour or just arrange with the hotel when we get there. The tour we have been looking at is 180$ each person for overnight trains in both directions, one night in a hotel, and two days of trekking. It seems a bit expensive to me when the train ride is 40$ and I've read that you can get a local guide for around 20$ a day. We are not interested in living in luxury hotels, an okay mid-range hotel is fine for us.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these options? Any suggestions?

Do we have to book a train many days before we go?

Appreciate all answers.

Anette

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,907 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Pre-arranged tour or self organized?

Do it all on your own and you win in every way! Sapa is so easy to DIY - local treks/tours very easy to get once in Sapa. All you need is a good travel agent in Hanoi for train tickets, and a hotel reservation in Sapa. Leave the bulk of your luggage at your Hanoi hotel and go.

Norway
Level Contributor
147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Pre-arranged tour or self organized?

Yeah, that's what we ended up doing, daawgon. Booked train tickets through our hotel (expensive for what you get, but that's how it is) and a reasonable priced hotel through hotels.com. When we got there we booked a trekking tour through Sapa Sisters and had a fantastic experience trekking to Ta Phin Village. The only downside was that we wanted to stay longer, next time we are staying for a week.

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Pre-arranged tour or self organized?

Have just booked a 4 days 3 nights trekking tour ($145) including:

2 overnight train tickets (soft)

2 nights at home stay (can choose to have 2 nights in hotel or 1 night in hotel with 1 in home stay)

Pickup from anyplace in Hanoi areas to the Hanoi train station

Pickup from train station to village

Pickup from village to train station

Tour guide all the way

Luggage storage

3 meals a day and welcome drinks everyday when back to the home stay

Not too bad for the price and hope everything will be alright there.

I wish I had seen this forum earlier with so many information about the local guide there.

Edited: 11:20 am, April 14, 2014
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Pre-arranged tour or self organized?

We did everything ourselves, easily doable and in general slightly cheaper. You also have your own choice of hotel/dinner place which is a advantage for us.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Pre-arranged tour or self organized?

Hi, Im planning to go sapa this Nov with my family of 4pax.

I'll be very appreciate if you dont mind to share us your trip to sapa and how can I

get in contact with your agent. Thanks !

Regards,

Grace

Amsterdam, The...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Pre-arranged tour or self organized?

Me and my boyfriend just did a 3D2N trip with Giang and it was great!! She is so friendly and nice!

We really recommend this if you are up for the experience of real traditional Vietnamese culture. The stay is basic, but she cooks tasty meals and you will sleep in a bed with a thin matress (not on the ground). She and her family just build a new house 1 month ago. They are working very hard to save some money to finish it before winter.

We think it is better that the money goes directly to the people themselves instead of to all the big companies that pay them only a small fraction of what you have paid to the company.

Edited: 1:42 am, May 10, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Pre-arranged tour or self organized?

This is a picture of Giang

https:/…2012.35.25.jpg

18. Re: Pre-arranged tour or self organized?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 12, 2015