We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing and Trekking in January

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
TAMPA FL
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing and Trekking in January

We will be in Sapa for a couple of days in mid-January and have a few questions regarding the treks and clothing.

I've had surgery on both Achilles tendons and have arthritis in my feet. Although I can walk fairly well, I'm a bit concerned about the steepness of the hills (it could be a big problem for me) and the slippery conditions. I've been told that we can buy gum boots in town because the hillside are very muddy, and had planned to get some there.

My questions are:

1. Does the weather typically get colder in Jan. than it is in Dec., as it does in the US?

2. What type of boots would you recommend for a trek that is said to be up to 10k? We've been to Asia several times and it can be difficult for a taller Western woman to find suitable clothing/shoes where the people are so much smaller. Also, my brother-in-law wears a size 15 shoe and we wonder if it's even possible to find such a large size there for him.

3. Would you even recommend that I try to do a 10k trek there with my situation --especially with the mud and steepness of the hills?

4. Is there another alternative, possibly doing walking that does not involve steep hills?

When planning this trip, we expected it to be cooler in Sapa, but not cold enough for snow. That will only be 2 days out of a month's trip that will otherwise be in hot weather.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Wendywee

sapa
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing and Trekking in January

The mostly walking & trekking around in Sapa are doing down hills and come back by car or you can discuss with your hotel upon arrival because you can ask directly with all your questions :). During your trekking days you can rent the boots at Sapa town very easy and had many sizes for chosen.

- On Jan is still cold and could be has snow. You should bring warm cloths, good shoes and gloves..

- The shoes/ boots you can rent it in Sapa with many sizes very easy, its not big deal.

- Almost trekking or walking in Sapa around 10km to 14 km and mostly going down hills and come back by car

- Beside the trekking or walking tours, you also can do market tour on the morning of Sunday (Bac Ha) Saturday (Can Cau) Lung Khau Nhin (Thursday) and Coc Ly ( Tuesday)

Do not expect good weather in Dec > Jan and Feb because these months are coldest, if you are luckily you will have sunny days during your trip in Sapa

Have a good trip

Sapa
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing and Trekking in January

Actually, there are trekking roads with different levels in Sapa for the beginners to the experienced. It can be said that it is a long walk from Sapa to remote village during a day with over 10 km, shorter or longer depending on how well you are. An easy road for the trek can be picked up under 10km I think and you will trek along river, through rice fields and village and remember to have a support of stick and boot if it rains as the soil will be softer, the road will be muddy and slippery. Sapa has snow now for a few days with degree under 0 and it maybe happens in January or warmer than it is now. Howver the average degree will not be over 15C. So preparing warm clothes and good stuffs for the trek is a must.

Sapa Sunshine Travel

TAMPA FL
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing and Trekking in January

Thanks so much to you both for your prompt replies. We are happy to hear that it will be easy to find the appropriate clothing and boots when we arrive in Sapa. We are really looking forward to our trip.

Wendywee

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing and Trekking in January

Sapa is great. We went on a trek with Handspan and they are awesome. I am here now and it is very cold. I wish I had a warmer jacket. I wasnt expecting it to be this cold. The people here are amazing. U will have a great time!

Sapa, Vietnam
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing and Trekking in January

Good trekking shoes, warm jackets, water proof are very needed

6. Re: Clothing and Trekking in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 27, 2014