We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

After much deliberation I have decided that a trip to the Mekong or Halong Bay might be too restrictive/unsafe with a toddler and am considering Sapa as an alternative destination for one or two nights.

Is there a tour anyone can recommend with a toddler - biking or walking?

I've read about the market in Bac Ha but not sure it will coincide with when we plan to visit.

Is there anything to do in Lao Cai or Sapa? And can anyone recommend a half day tour or trek that would be achievable with a toddler. We will take a baby carrier with us.

Or if anyone can recommend another side trip from Hanoi which might be more suitable that would be greatly appreciated.

We prefer b&b accommodation to hotels and are keen to try as much local food as possible during our stay so any recommendations for food and/or accommodation would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dani

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

Sapa would be great with a toddler, little children are very popular with locals!

If you are used to carrying your child then the short hikes out to nearby villages would be fine.

there is nothing to do in Lao Cai, do not plan on wasting anytime there if you c!an avoid it. Also Bac Ha market is a very long (and rather treacherous) drive from Sapa.

Sapa is beautiful, enjoy it

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

I must have travelled on a different road to you as I did not find that road at all treacherous. Long maybe but not any more dangerous than any other roads I travelled on both in 2009 or in 2000.

sapa
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

Book the hotel first, then ask them for more information: tours suitable for your baby but still see the most beauty lanscape in Sapa.

- Bac Ha market also recommended due to it high rate from reviewers and its worth trip. Muong Hoa valley, Love waterfall and dragon mountain also very nice.

Cheers

Asia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

As for Bac Ha- I wont recommend it in June. It will be way way too hot for the baby. Mind you, its a 3 hr shuttle through and 3 hr shuttle fro. In the midday 34-36 degrees of Lao Cai. I would however, recommend the treks, take the easier routes- ie not through the padi fields. There are some really good guides recommended here, Option A- go to Sapa and ask from the hotel. Option B- Sapa O-Chau. Option C- Sapa Sisters. As for B&Bs, the hotels in Sapa are cheap enough to stay, but if you want to really rough it out as a backpacker with a child, I would say- try Pinocchio along Cau May. Otherwise, just stick to one of those along Fan Si Pang road- ie Cat Cat, Cat Cat View. Or there are also others further up like Summit, Elysian along Cau May is great cause its next to the market. Last note, June is not a great time to be fair; as it rains. Bringing a child on a trek when the rain comes through is certainly not going to be easy.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,959 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

Plopsywopsy, a baby from Perth will have experienced much higher temps than 34-36. Perth's summer often hits 42 and this past one was a stinker with a month of maxima over 39.

6. Re: Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, May 22, 2013
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

Used to travel with toddlers and I think it's quite safe in Ha Long Bay Junks. Most boats in Ha Long Bay are surrounded with handrail! Just spend sometimes taking care of the baby when visiting the cave or village....

Sapa is definitely safer for the kids. If you want a smooth and flat road for hiking/trekking, then Cat Cat Village seems to meet the demand. Bac Ha Market opens every Sunday, not sure if your travel date coincide with it...

Other suggested places: Duong Lam Ancient village, Moon Garden Homestay...

For accommodation and food? plenty at the Old Quarter

Sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

Hi Dani, How was your trip?! I'm planning a trip to Vietnam with a 3 year old right now and would love to hear your feedback on how it went. I'd love to know how you went in Sapa or at Halong Bay if you made it, and more importantly if you think that those places are ok for a toddler - I hope they are! But safety comes first.

Best,

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

HoplessRomantics, I have a 5 years old. When he was 4 years old. We Ttook him to visit Halong bay. It's ok. No problem. Trekking tour in Sapa is not very suitable for toddler. I think, Halong Bay tour is safer than treeking tour

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sapa with a toddler early June - suggestions please

HI was wondering if you ever got a response from Dani as we are also hoping to travel Vietnam this coming June/July with our 2.5 year old toddler. Did you go any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks