We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

Caloundra, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

Hi, I will be visiting the Sapa area in January 2013 and intend to climb Mt Fansipan, it will be winter at that time of year and I have been told it can snow in that area, has anyone climbed Fansipan in January?.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

It can say that January and February are two coldest month in the winter. If you take a trek Mt Fansipan at that time, it's 0 degree with so much foggy, misty but I think it can not snow.

You should bring warmest jacket, good trekking shoes, sleeping bag...

Good luck!

Lao Cai
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

all right's from Waytosapa, Jan and Feb, the weather out side is cold and no snow. some water icing when winter comes. so many people climb up the mountant in Jan. good trip !

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

I'm somewhat confused by the first two replies to this post. Yes, it does snow in Sapa during Jan. and Feb. I know when I was there in Feb. 2007 there was snow and again when I was there in mid-March 2011 there was snow. So it can, and does, snow. Its not a regularity, but it does happen. I've climbed in March and found it very cold and slippery, but an enjoyable challenge.

Aside from the possible snow, its quite foggy in Jan. I think the fog is more important to consider, given one of the main reasons you are exerting all this effort is for the views.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

Having done that with a friend in Jan I do not recommend it at all. It's cold, wet and very foggy so you won't see anything. It's harder because the base camp is not geared up for the bad weather.

sapa
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

When you are intending to conquer that' meaning you need to be fit enough to do this.

Do not expect good weather at this time because as many guys advised you, there are much foggy , cold and wet so if you are lucky you can get good weather

Noted: Should bring some warm jacket, gloves, scarf, good trekking shoes ..Sleeping bag and mattress was provided by your hotel or travel agent

Have a good trip

Caloundra, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

Thanks for all the information and comments, no doubt I will find out how foggy, wet and cold it will be, maybe next time I will pick a better month of the year !.

7. Re: Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, December 14, 2012
8. Re: Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 pm, December 16, 2012
9. Re: Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:00 am, December 28, 2012
Edited: 9:00 am, December 28, 2012
Caloundra, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trekking Mt Fansipan in January

Hi to All,

Am now at my hotel in Sapa waiting for the guide to arrive and yes it is wet, cold and foggy today. I already had my trip to Vietnam booked for this time of year otherwise yes I would have picked another time for Fansipan.

If I am still alive in two days I will let you know how it went.

Allan...