We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours from Hanoi to Sapa

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
33 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Tours from Hanoi to Sapa

Looking to do a 2 day trip to Sapa and wondered if you can answer some Qs for me! The plan is to travel overnight, do a 2 day hill tribe trek (stay overnight in the region) and travel back on the 3rd night. Qs:

- Is this enough time? We're only in Vietnam for a short amount of time...

- Should we be doing this through a tour operator? And, if so, which tour operators would you recommend to travel with from Hanoi?

- What time does the night train leave from Hanoi? We’ll be coming from a Halong Bay overnight trip and need to work out whether to get straight on the night train (our preference), or stay in Hanoi another night.

Thanks in advance!

1. Re: Tours from Hanoi to Sapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, August 31, 2012
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,433 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours from Hanoi to Sapa

It would be far cheaper, and probably just as nice, to start the tour once you arrive in Sapa. Sapa is a very easy destination. I do recommend that you use a local agent to buy your train tickets and to pre-book a Sapa hotel. The agent in Hanoi can take you directly to your train compartment and then arrange with the Sapa hotel for a pickup at the Lao Cai station. Once in Sapa, just walk down the main street, or use the tour desk at your hotel to book local treks/tours. Trains leave about dinner time if I remember correctly:

http://www.traintosapa.com/ (I recommend this agent for excellent service)

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours from Hanoi to Sapa

What the H***? Another deleted post for no good reason...... I gave valid advice, but I guess someone would prefwer the advice of the above poster.... which is pretty well the same thing I said........ I feel a war brewing.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours from Hanoi to Sapa

So if I understand correctly you want to start trekking on the day of your arrival in Sapa, stay overnight in a 'home stay' type place, and then end your trek the same day you take the night train back to Hanoi?

If this is the case I would arrange it before you get to Sapa, since you plan to start right away. There are many good companies that can assist with this, and as Daawgon suggested, your Sapa hotel can help as well. Personally, for a two day trekking trip and overnight I would look at either Topas Travel or Ethnic Travel.

Is this enough time? Personally, I really recommend going to one of the very colorful ethnic minority markets while in the Lao Cai/Sapa area. You could do this either on your day of arrival or day of departure on your way from otto the train. Look at the bottom of this page for locations and the days that markets are held: www.personal.psu.edu/rxj9/Hanoi/Sapa.html

You've allocated the minimum time needed for Sapa-- night train there, one overnight in Sapa/Lao Cai area, night train back. I would try adding at least one more day.

Trains depart around 8pm and 9:30pm from Hanoi, getting into the station at Lao Cai at 5am and 6:30am. No problem with making a night train the same day you return from Halong Bay- its done all the time. You usually get back from Halong Bay about 4pm.

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours from Hanoi to Sapa

Thanks - all really helpful!

sapa
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours from Hanoi to Sapa

The first step is you must to book the night train then from Halong bay go straight to Hanoi station when you are in Laocai station take the local bus (50.000 VND/1way/1person) after that ask your hotel in Sapa to be supported tour information, they need at least 1hour to arrange the trip before you go.

We think that, you should book the tour in Sapa to be getting the local price, can be shower and store the luggage during you are on the trip.

Have a good trip

7. Re: Tours from Hanoi to Sapa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 02, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sapa