We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hmong Mountain Retreat.

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hmong Mountain Retreat.

Hi guy's,

Myself and 3 other friends are thinking of booking the Hmong House at the Mountain Retreat in Sa Pa. Has anyone every stayed in the 70 year old house? I can't find any pictures of the inside anywhere. Is it spacious? are there chairs that you can sit on the balcony with etc etc.

We really love the idea of staying here but need to know or see more information on the property. Thanks, Stacey : )

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hmong Mountain Retreat.

Hi Oldxp

I have booked to stay at Hmong Mountain Retreat this April. Pictures and surrounding areas look amazing, bet they do not do it Justice! Cant wait. My question is did you book a guide while there. Did you do it in advance or pre book, any suggestions for me as the prices I have been given by private guides mentioned on TA seem very expensive. ($175) for 1.5 day tour.

Many thanks

Sharon

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hmong Mountain Retreat.

Hi Sharon,

No we did not book a private guide. We also thought it seemed very expensive to do this. We only did light trekking though, since we were there with our three children. Of the two full days we had in Sapa, we spent one day doing the cooking class then did a lovely walk ourselves from the retreat down into the valley which took a couple of hours and took us down through local villages etc.. We didn't need a guide to do this walk. The second day we spent exploring Sapa town, walking around again without a guide. It might be worth getting a guide if you want to be more adventurous, but I think most walks could be done without one. Just be aware that wherever you walk, you will be constantly followed by people, whose eventual motive is to sell you things (and I mean they will follow you and walk with you for miles!). I am not sure if having a guide helps with this situation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hmong Mountain Retreat.

Hi Oldxp,

Thank you so much for advise, we are not experienced trekkers, nice to know that we can go for walks on our own, at our own pace, thanks for the info.Did you end up staying at Hmong Mountain Retreat? just 1 question...... I know it sounds silly but just wondering what happens when you need to go to the toilet in the middle of the night, are the toilet blocks far from the bungelows??

Many thanks

Sharon

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hmong Mountain Retreat.

Hi Sharon,

Not a silly question! Yes, we did stay there for two nights. The toilets are probably 20-40 metres from the bungalows, depending which one you are in. There is minimal lighting and the path is narrow and can be slippery if wet. I would recommend you pack a small torch for night-time trips to the loo! We were there in April too (last year) and we had wet and cool weather so a trip to the loo also required an umbrella or raincoat. The retreat (in my opinion) is not ideal in poor weather - I wish you fine sunny days, in which case your experience is sure to be better. Cheers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hmong Mountain Retreat.

Hi oldxp,

Lol wish I didn't ask! I couldn't make up my mind out of the 2 either Hmong or the Victoria spa, couldn't have been more opposites in hotels!! opted for Hmong, as I can stay in a 4 star hotel anywhere, but the experience of the Hmong looks amazing!

Thanks for the info

Sharon

Cambridge, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Hmong Mountain Retreat.

Stakakkam - I noticed that you stayed in the Topas Ecolodge - we are looking to book that for our trip in July - how did you find it?

Edited: 4:06 pm, April 01, 2013
17. Re: Hmong Mountain Retreat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 03, 2014