We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

Hi. Has anybody used the daytime train from Sapa (Lao Cai) to Hanoi before? I know it's a local train and takes almost 12 hours but since we don't want to take an overnight train again, we would like to travel in daytime. Would like to hear your comment and experience on it. Many thanks. :)

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

The truth is that very few tourists have taken the day train - it's all hard seat and rather uncomfortable. I understand there's very little to see on the route as well. The only good thing about that train is that it's dirt cheap!

sapa
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

Your right. The day train is really bad experience, there is nothing interesting and tired, you may see the landscapes along the way but its very uncomfortable and its not safe for your properties because the train itself is local one therefore, its stop many difference station to pick others up and could be have few pickpocket there, . So, should take night trains to be safer.

Have a good trip!

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
12 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

Im sorry, but when you work in a sapa luxury hotel as you,er namn suggest its not very independed reviewed

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,230 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

It's just a name, Roy, and I doubt it means to SLH what it does to you. Have you been on a Viet train to know what they're like? The hard seat all stops are pretty rough, as daawgon has already confirmed. Why would a local in the area whose business it is to know what the trains (which they don't own) their customers use are like, not be able to comment without their veracity being called into question?

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
12 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

Some trains are owned by local hotels.

Anybody knows if there are daytime busses?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

Gee Roy , they must be very big hotels and Business must be going great if they can afford a Train.

Can you let Us know how you know this ???

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

When there's a choice between a bus and a train in VN, you should always go with the train. Road travel is not especially safe in this country (especially on winding and narrow mountain roads).

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

No day trains are owned by hotels in Sapa.

To be fair, day train is interesting only when you prefer to enjoy the landscapes at slow pace and see the locals on the way. There are some small markets near some train stations and you have little time to visit.

For the comfort issue, it is not.

I took the day train 2 times, it is tiring.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

One of my friends took the day train. She didn't find it a problem. Just take a cheerful disposition and maybe some fruit or snacks to share with your fellow passengers as it's a fairly long trip, and offering to share something is a good way to start a conversation.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Daytime train from Sapa to Hanoi

How much is the day trip?