We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to pay for guides?

Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
How much to pay for guides?

I've approached a few of the guides recommended in the forum for some treks and I've been quoted between US$25-30/pax. Is that the going rate? I thought I read somewhere that it should be in the vicinity of about US$18-20/pax? Since there are 6 of us in my family and we'll be there for 5 days, this really adds up for us and I hate to think that we will not be able to do anything while we are there.

Can anyone recommend a guide more to my price range? Ie, hopefully not more than US$20/pax?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to pay for guides?

US$25 - 30 is correct fee as you are group of 6 and you don't have to hire for 5 days when you need some free time to explore the town by yourself with market, church, Hamrong moutain and silver waterfall (no need guide for those places)

so they offer a fair one as Vietnam is very high inflation country now.

Cheers and hope this helps

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to pay for guides?

I have a friend as tour guide usually does in Ha Long, Sapa, Ha Noi and Ha Giang. The fee is normally is about $25, but sometimes he can reduce. If you need his info, let me know then i will introduce for you.

Regards

Edited: 7:29 am, November 25, 2011
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to pay for guides?

Your guide gets paid X per day/ tour. Not per person. If the tour company is telling you it's per person find another one.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to pay for guides?

We paid last month for the guide in Sapa was 20$ per day.

Edited: 4:32 am, November 26, 2011
Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to pay for guides?

Thanks everyone. It seems that the rates really vary. I would have thought that with a slightly bigger group, the rates would be slightly cheaper instead.

AlluraHanoihotel & ho h, would appreciate your guide contacts if possible. I'm now wondering if I should firm up my guide now or to wait til I get there and try my luck and maybe get a cheaper guide. Sigh.

Shanghai, China
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much to pay for guides?

Hi I am planning to visit Sapa in December on my own and would like a tour guide to take me around. Can you give me some info please??

Thanks

Matt

Shanghai, China
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much to pay for guides?

Hi

I am planning a trip to Sapa in December can you give me a heads up on the tour guide etc...

Thanks

Matthew

8. Re: How much to pay for guides?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:48 am, August 26, 2017
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much to pay for guides?

Hi AlluraHanoihotel,

Can you give me the contact of your guide who charged you US$20 per day? I have been quoted US$35 per person per day and I find this quite steep.

Thanks.

Edited: 7:48 am, February 01, 2012
Paris, France
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How much to pay for guides?

Hong Hwa,

You can easily find a guide in your hotel in Sapa. There is no need to pay US$ 20 per day to visit villages a round Sapa like Cat Cat.