We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Topic
Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

Can anyone tell me anything about this villa in Canggu, I have been beside myself with excitement since stumbling onto a few days ago. It sounds like just too good to be true and the guy appears to be geniune in his emails etc..

A few people have spoken about this Villa Warisan and the few that have were either booked in july and october but I heard any responses to know whether its is geniune.

Please if anyone has any information I'd love to know..

'Thanks :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

If it helps we haven't heard anything negative and we usually do if that is the case. Usually if we don't get any feed back after their trip, then you can assume that all is good.

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

Thanks for you response Whinne. I have spent some time looking into this beautiful place and I am now confident that it exists. I have received emails from people who have stayed there and they all sing its praises. The villa owner has been fantastic in his dealings with me and we are booked to stay in early December. I will post a review when I get back so that the information is there for everyone else to see if they are interested. I guess it is the problem with brand new villas as there is not alot of information out there. Thanks again for your time!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

Have a wonderful trip and a review if you could do one, would be great.

MY
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

This is my JBR on Villa Warisan.

Firstly, it advertises itself as a 6-bedroom villa which is kind of "true, but ...." . There was only 1 double bedroom on the ground floor with a connecting door to a small room with 2 bunk beds - good for children but not adults bcos that small room can only just fit the bed and nothing much else, has no air-cond (though has a fan) and shares the bathroom with the double room [problem is : that bathroom has NO door, so you see the problem if adults (non-spouses) were sharing that bathroom?]. So our adult occupant of that small room had to use the guest bathroom across the hall which was extremely small [about 6' x 6'] - it had shower and WC (which is ok except that the hand-held shower was broken and the toilet couldn't flush - will come to that later). In the website, it showed 2 double-beds on the ground floor - turns out the 2nd double-bed was actually a day bed in the pavilion next to the pool.

On the 1st floor, there was an identical double bedroom (with air-cond) +connecting small single-bed room(with fan, no air-cond) sharing common bathroom with no door, 2 twin-bedded rooms with good air-conds and another double bedroom with NO air-cond and no ceiling fan (though they did put in a stand fan). There was a common (indoor) bathroom in the corridor and an outdoor bathroom. In our stays in other villas, the outdoor bathrooms could only be accessed thru a bedroom and would have a door with lock but not this one - it's only partitioned off by a bamboo screen, and anyone could walk in! So those using this bathroom-toilet would have to yell : "I'm in here, don't come in!" to warn others against inadvertently walking in! But we tell ourselves that's part of the adventure!

What we found disappointing about this villa was the lack of accuracy in its info. I wouldn't say they're untruths (the no. of bedrooms is an example) but they were definitely misleading. Another misleading info was their claim that the villa was new - it definitely could NOT be newly-built (which any normal person would understand the word "new" to be, right?)!! The building was rather old, with dirty/damp patches on some of the walls, the ceiling. Perhaps its was "new" in the villa-rental market, that's all. Upon arrival, we found we couldn't shower in the common bathroom donwstairs as the hand-held shower was broken, there was was no water in all but one of the bathrooms and eventually when they fixed the water-supply problem, there was only cold water from the showers and even then 2 of the bathrooms had only a weak trickle from the showers. As for the toilets, we initially complained they weren't working, until we were informed by the caretaker that the wc flush system would frequently "unhook" and we were shown how to put our hands into the water cistern, jerk the chain and then it'd flush! Likewise after flushing, we'd have to put our hand into the wc again to "tweak" the ball and its stem, otherwise the cistern would not fill up and there'd be no water for the next person using the toilet!

Another thing I was unhappy with was the fact that we were not informed beforehand that there would be power stoppage for 4-5 hours every 4 nights [tho' it's not their fault - this is a rotating event by the govt, and it's the villa's area's turn from now till Dec.]. But if they'd at least informed guests, guests could decide whether to go ahead with their bookings - if yes, then the guests could be mentally prepared and also possibly bring their own torchlights, etc. [you got it! the villa didn't even provide us with torchlights!].

To our surprise, the villa staff didn't seem prepared for such a regular occurrence - they only left to buy candles AFTER the blackout had started, leaving us guests groping the dark and with no one to turn to for help until the staff returned with candles. How primitive!! The caretaker had his own torch, so we requested him to let us have that - at least the elderly members of our group could walk around with a torchlight instead of mere candlelight! When I called up the person who attended to my email booking to complain about their lack of help, she had the cheek to tell me "I already help you by getting candles."...!! The next day on our sightseeing, we came across locals carrying crates of oil lamps for sale - our driver said it's for the blackout periods. Even the locals have better lighting than we did!! When I was informed (upon check-in) to expect the black-out, I didn't react that badly cos I expected they'd have a back-up generator. Fat hopes, I see now (with hindsight)!

The villa is set in the middle of padi fields - that much is true. It's about 500m inside the padi fields and the villa owner [+the owner of the adjacent villa] can't even be bothered to prepare a proper access gravelled path (much less a tarred path!) - the 500m stretch of earthen path from the nearest road across the padi fields to the villa was full of potholes - it took our driversa good 5 minutes (yes, we timed!) to traverse that 500-metre stretch, and we were so afraid they wouldn't come and pick us up again after that, cos of the tremendous damage that bumpy, pot-holed stretch would have caused to their vehicles's suspension.

We were also informed that there would be a full time maid who could help us with breakfast, etc. Well, we came to realise that their (maid + her husband, who live on site) job scope is probably as merely caretakers and NOT maid/servant. They swept the floors and the compound, cleaned the pool, fixed (or tried to fix) anything broken but did not serve us in the way we'd expected (from our experience from previous villas). We had to boil our own water, cook our own breakfast, wash our own dishes. But to their credit, they were extremely nice, polite and did initially make us some drinks but we realised they weren't going to do so without being asked - we figured they just weren't trained or weren't intended to serve us! Also, they were frequently not to be seen so we'd have died of thirst or hunger if we'd waited for them to bring us food & drinks.

Kitchen equipment was woefully inadequate - there was no kettle and only one small (6-inch diameter) pot which doubled up as boiling pot (for water) and cooking pot (for food). It could be bcos there was a water dispenser which was SUPPOSED to dispense hot and cold drinking water, hence the absence of a kettle but the said dispenser somehow only worked on the first day - on our remaining days, it absolutely refused to dispense any hot water!

(I was also informed by a neighbour that the villa only had connected electricity supply in the past 1-2 months. Before that, they were using a "gangset" [I took that to mean a generator] which at times would fail and plunge the place into darkness. However, I must say this was strictly hearsay - perhaps those who had stayed here earlier could confirm or deny. But if true, then I find it disturbing that this was not disclosed when I booked the villa in June.).

The only good things about the villa were : the staff were polite and helpful whenever approached [note : they needed to be approached, though - obviously not trained], the pool was nice, the surrounding views of the padi fields were nice.

So folks, be warned. I guess if you went mentally prepared after reading all the shortcomings above (we weren't so prepared, having stayed at much much better - albeit slightly more expensive - villas before!) then you could still have a great time!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

AKPM could I ask you to post this as a proper review in the review section of this site.

Your info in very valuable but on this forum it will very soon slip away into nothingness. As a proper review, it will be there forever for all to see.

Just copy and paste what you wrote here to the review section. No need to rewrite it.

Renmark, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

Yes, put up a proper review please, so other people do not get caught out like you! It sounds like a terrible place to go! Hope no one else has booked here yet! Cheers Cheryl

MY
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

Shubbaz, It's not totally terrible - I guess one just has to realise that a cheap rate would mean some level of compromise somewhere. My mistake was in having much higher expectations (derived from previous stays in other villas which admittedly cost about 25%-30% more) but after my group members and I overcame our initial dismay and disappointment and focused on its good points (the view, the nice pool, the ever-smiling staff, untrained though they obviously were), refusing to let "little" things like erratic water supply get us down, we did manage to have a good time. My intention in posting the JBR is so others will go there with their eyes open.

Whinnie, I did try to put up a review. Clicked "Hotels around Canggu" but couldn't find this villa listed, hence couldn't add my review to it. Am still trying to figure out how to post a new review (care to kindly provide a tutorial?? :) ) - once I manage to figure out, shall cut and paste my review as suggested by you.

MY
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

Oops, sent my last email out to soon. Just saw the "Write a Review" box at the top. Yes, duh!!! Ok, sent in my review to Tripadvisor - got message that they'd let me know if it's accepted.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

If you go the top of this page to the green tabs across the page there is one "write a review".

Click on this and it will prompt you with what you want to review. Answer the questions and if this villa is not in the TA system, you can request the staff to enter it. It will take a few days for them to enter it and they will notify you when it is entered and ready for your review to be posted.

MY
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Warisan.... Real on Not?

Unfortunately, I've received a reply from Tripadvisor (quote) : "I'm sorry to say that this business does not meet our listing criteria (this appears to be a single villa rental unit); therefore, we cannot publish your review. " I was advised to post on Tripadvisor Forum, so ...... no reviews!

Get answers to your questions about Canggu