We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the best beach in Kovalam area?

dan2244
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Whats the best beach in Kovalam area?

I want to be able to enjoy the view, read my book and relax. Dont really want the bars or hassle of hawkers. needs to be clean too

kettering
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the best beach in Kovalam area?

Hi

In my opinion, the beach areas around Kovalam have deteriorated in recent years and are not so clean. Also you will be lucky to be able to relax and read etc without being disturbed by hawkers. Sorry to sound negative, but this is my opinion.

kettering
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the best beach in Kovalam area?

Hi

In my opinion, the beach areas around Kovalam have deteriorated in recent years and are not so clean. Also you will be lucky to be able to relax and read etc without being disturbed by hawkers. Sorry to sound negative, but this is my opinion.

Kovalam
Destination Expert
for Kovalam
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the best beach in Kovalam area?

Hi Try Rockholm beach south of the lighthouse, no restaurants few sunbed sellers and the occasional hawker.

Regards

Ian

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the best beach in Kovalam area?

Poovar is a lot better!! its much relaxed beach..... or go to Varkala, which is more beautiful.. Kovalam is definitely crowded with locals and if you do not enjoy and relax in the crowd near by Poovar and Varkala are the best..

There will be everything u need in just about the right level.

Enjoy great trip!!

Edited: 12:54 am, January 06, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Poovar
Poovar
Thiruvananthapuram District, India
Varkala
Varkala
Thiruvananthapuram District, India
england
Level Contributor
940 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the best beach in Kovalam area?

I went to Kovalam in March about 3 years ago. It was just before the walkway was built at the South ens of Lighthouse beach. It was nice, yes there was hawkers etc but they didnt desturb us much. I am now thinking of trying to get back next year, possibly Kovalam or Vakala.

Edited: 6:08 am, January 06, 2014
yorkshire
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the best beach in Kovalam area?

In my opinion the best beach is the first part of samudra beach before you get to samudra hotel. The beach boys here are lovely, the beach is very clean and there a limited number of sellers.

You can tell the beach boys on arrival that you don't want to be disturbed! I find however that a firm "no thank you" or in Malalayam "Venda nanni" is all that's required!!!

The only downside to this beach is that if the sea is rough it can be difficult to get in and out of the water.

I do like to go to lighthouse beach every so often just to people watch and chat to the fruit sellers!!!

Enjoy whatever you beach you go to.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the best beach in Kovalam area?

@ Kovalam samudra beach is the best. Try stay at Hotel Leela cottages. You may also try Tapovan Heritage which is on a private beach just 6Km away from Kovalam Beach, very calm place to stay & Relax. PM me if you wany any more details.

Mentioned in this post
Kovalam Beach
Kovalam Beach
1,414 Reviews
Kovalam, India
8. Re: Whats the best beach in Kovalam area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 14, 2015