We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear advice for 18yr old

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear advice for 18yr old

I am travelling to Kovalam with my 18 year old daughter at the end of the month and she has not been impressed with my suggestions of what clothes to bring (ive suggested leggings and long tops, yoga gear, long shorts, capris). Can anyone tell me what the dress code is to avoid unwanted notice (she is tall, slim and gorgeous) e.g poolside/ around the hotel is it ok to wear short shorts and vest tops? I know that covering up is best for sightseeing but what about wandering around Kovalam days?

Thanks.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear advice for 18yr old

You are not coming to Pakistan or Afghanistan but to India .

Edited: 12:23 am, March 03, 2013
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear advice for 18yr old

Whatever you have mentioned - leggings and long tops, yoga gear, long shorts, capris should be fine to avoid unwanted notice and it is also advisable to wear clothes that fully cover yourself when you visit temples or religious places.

Pool side and along side the hotel is a private place where mostly other guests also will be there and there wont be any problem. You dont have to worry so much, you can expect normal behavior from most people like what you expect in your city and if there are any issues you can always contact tourist helpline

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
169 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear advice for 18yr old

Perhaps going a boho chic direction might appeal to her more - sun dresses and maxis in floaty cottons and linens? Try looking on the websites of places she likes to shop - I suspect you will see items you can both agree on.

Personally I hate wearing tight clothes like leggings in a hot climate. If you can achieve comfort and style she will hopefully be happy.

dorset
Level Contributor
561 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear advice for 18yr old

Hello. I would say that wandering around Kovalam (where you are almost always on or near the beach) she will be fine in vest tops and shorts (not really tiny ones though!). They have seen a lot of tourists there and are accustomed to this sort of dress. Personally, I would go for a vest top and sarong skirt for walking around in Kovalam and have never had a problem with that.

I agree that for venturing further afield you should cover up a bit (knees and shoulders). A long skirt or capri trousers with a short sleeved shirt or t-shirt is fine. Looser clothes are often cooler as it can be very hot and humid. There are lots of little tailors shops etc in Kovalam where she will be able to buy suitable tops/ skirts/ trousers if required.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
9,682 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear advice for 18yr old

I agree with pier21. Kovalam is very relaxed and the type of wear she described will be fine.

Leave the leggings at home; loose and comfy is the way to go.

Edited: 7:01 am, March 04, 2013
Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear advice for 18yr old

Long maxi dresses would be ideal but really anything goes in Kovalam, I wouldn't worry about it let her wear what she wants.

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
169 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear advice for 18yr old

I'm not sure that I agree with the "let her wear what she wants" Chrella - I think her mum is trying to teach her an important lesson that every tourist should think about - what is appropriate dress for the area being visited. India is far from being a repressive culture, but it is more modest than many European countries so it is respectful not to push the boundaries too far.

Just because you can get away with something doesn't mean you should do it!

Kent
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear advice for 18yr old

We have just got back from Kovalam and it has been extremely hot. I would suggest natural cottons - loose trousers. shorts, kaftans, sarongs for around the resort and maybe long sleeve thin tops for going further afield. Anything synthetic should probably be left at home. There are a good range of shops along the beach front at Lighthouse Beach which sell this sort of clothing very cheaply if you aren't able to purchase before you leave the UK. Nobody really dresses up for the evenings, comfort is more important and maxi dresses, short dresses or trousers with casual tops are fine. Also I would leave your high heels at home too!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear advice for 18yr old

I think I am mostly summarizing what others have said but ....In the major cities, Indians know that westerners don't wear saris, and some Indian women wear western style clothing. But India remains a mostly traditional culture. To deal with the intense heat you will find in most places, I would suggest your daughter wear light weaves of silk, linen and rayon clothing that is loose (cotton gets sweaty and doesn't dry quickly and polyester doesn't breath at all). Skirts should cover knees. Tops should cover shoulders. Pants should not be tight unless a blouse covers the front and back if you know what I mean. Sandals are good -- that's what Indian women wear. Have a great trip!

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
606 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear advice for 18yr old

Ofcourse your daughter can wear shorts and tank tops, swimming dres around pool..there are no dress code for girls in kovalam..only avoid unnecessary revealing clothes..otherwise anything will be okay