We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
152 posts
284 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

Hi, Im getting the option of either Leela or Uday Samudra in Kovalam? how are they? or would you recommend some other hotel?

I'm looking at something with a beach front and closer to the nearby city which we can explore

Romford Essex
Level Contributor
113 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

Hi

If you want luxury then it has to be either the Leela or the Taj. Both are beautiful hotels leading to nice beaches and are about 20 mins away from Trivandrum

Regards

Lynn

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
152 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

What about Uday Samudra and Estuary Island resort? does it make sense to stay in Kovalam or Trivandrum ?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

I stayed in Taj Vivanta Kovalam a year back. Its really good, with its own private beach, lagoon, restaurants etc and the entire setup is very close to nature.

Romford Essex
Level Contributor
113 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

Sorry, I can't recommend the Uday Samudra at all, not now. It USED to be a good hotel but not anymore. I really don't know anything about the Estuary Island resort. Trivandrum is very busy and noisy and although there is a Taj in Trivandrum, the one in Kovalam is far better as the above post says.

Kochi (Cochin...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

Leela is a better option than Udaysamudra at any cost from your choices. You can also consider r turtle on the beach and Suryasamudra if you are open to more choices.

Estuary Island Resort is in Poovar and it is not a beach front resort. You have to cross the backwaters to get to the beaches in poovar.

It would be ideal for you to stay in Kovalam as you are looking for a beach front resort

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

I am not sure of the Uday Samudra but if i were you I would not select the Leela. I stayed there not so long ago and found it absolutely disgusting. Everything was "poor". You can read my detailed review. The hotel has 3 plus points. One, its close to TRV and in fact you can catch the new A/C bus into TRV from right outside the hotel. There is a bus stand as you exit the hotel. It takes about half an hour and you will be dropped off at kovalam Bus Stand from where you can explore TRV. The cost if around 10 rupees per person. The second plus point is that the hotel has a small section of "private" beach. Again this is not totally private as you see the fishermen wondering around the section where they have put the sun beds. The diesel from the boats makes the sand dirty and the constant nagging you get from one person who will keep asking you to take a boat ride at a very high cost.The third good thing is that you can walk into Hawa Beach which is a lively bustling area. The food and service at the hotel is nil.

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

You say there is a private beach at the Taj Vivanta? Tell me more about this please. What exactly is it like. Is The Taj Vivanta walking distance to Hawa/Lighthouse Beach? Is this hotel anywhere close to the Leela? Thanks

Thiruvananthapuram...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

The closest to Hawa Beach would be Turtle By the Beach..check out thier website..http://www.turtleonthebeach.com/

9. Re: Best hotel to stay at in Kovalam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 10, 2013