We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

staffordshire
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

Hi, we're going to Kerala in a couple of weeks and flying with qutar to Kochi airport. I'm having real trouble trying to work out how to get from the airport to the Taj resort in Kovalam. Does anybody know the best way, that doesn't involve an 11 hour train journey or missing a connecting flight to Trivandrum? I've tried looking on cleartrip but can't seem to get any sense out of the site and the airline that would fly direct does not refund a missed flight due to delays.

I'm getting really stressed now. I've never been to Kerala before, I've always done Goa. Any advice, help, links would be more than appreciated!! :)

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

QR 240 will fly between Doha and Trivandrum

Why don't you change to that flight ?

Edited: 11:35 am, February 13, 2012
London
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

Probably to late to say why not fly to Trivandrum. What time does your flight arrive in Kochi - you can get train from Kochi to Trivandrum for around 4 hours - you would have to get taxi to rail station then another taxi from Trivandrum to Kovalam. I dont think you will find any airline that would give you refund due to missed connection when booked separately from your main flight. Unless anyone has better suggestions would say either take chance on the flight or check cleartrip for train times. Good luck either way.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

A car takes only 5 hours to Kovalam beach.

Which lfight you are arriving and what time?

Suresh P R, Palmland Tours, kerala

Thiruvananthapuram...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

Its 4.5 hours on the train from Cochin to Trivandrum, and then 20 mins by car to Kovalam.

Car from Cochin to Kovalam would be 5 hours (on a good day with no traffic!!!) It can take up to 8 hours!

If your flight arrives at a reasonable hour, I would take the train, if it arrives at 3am - then you will be safe with a taxi ride, that will take around 5 hours(as there will be little traffic on the roads, during those hours)

K.V. Lekshmanan - In Love with Kerala Tours

staffordshire
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

Hi, if I'd have known that QR flew direct to Trivandrum, I would've booked that flight and I guess its too late to change now. Not only that, we've booked a hotel for the last night next to Kochi airport. Our flight is Quatar landing at 8.30am on friday 2nd March. What railway station would we need to travel to, to get on the train and where would we get off and approx how much would it cost? Can anyone help as cleartrip is making no sense and saying that the journey time is 11 hours!!

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

At 10.10 there is an Indigo flight from Cochin to Trivandrum. Arriving at 10.55. Costs Rs 5075 / 2 persons. Costs less than car.

Suresh P R, Palmland Tours, kerala.

Thiruvananthapuram...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

wow that's cheap!!!

allaboutkaren I 'd go on that flight if you can get it..

The train would be chokka at that time of morning.

K.V.Lekshmanan - In Love with Kerala Tours

Kottayam, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

Train can be a pain, I really wont recommend, unless you are on a very tight budget. You need to get a taxi from Airport to Ernakulam South station, take a train to Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Central station and from there, another Taxi to Kovalam. Train journey should take only 5 hours or so and is really cheap, but you may have to wait 1-2 hours to get one and it is going to be crowded. Total journey time could be up to 8-10 hours, from airport to Kovalam.

Easiest option is to take a prepaid taxi from Airport and go straight to Kovalam. Should take 6-7 hours and should cost you few thousand rupees extra, but it is the easiest option irrespective of your arrival time.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

Just stayed in Kovalam and did a trip to Kochi - the trian is fine but the trickiest part is buying a ticket which can be ridiculously complicated for some unknown reason..

It won't break the bank to get a cab all the way - it'll be about £50.00 tops and you can just sit back and relax.

Enjoy your trip, I'm jealous I'm not going again.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best way to get to Kovalam from Kochi airport

Thanks for all the advice. We're going to try and catch the indigo flight. Only trouble is, the flight leaves at 10.10am and our flight doesn't get in until 8.30. Is that pushing it for time? Is Kochi airport large and do you know the average check in time for domestic departures? Is the international and domestic terminal close? I dont want to miss the flight!!! I hate car journeys so a taxi would be my last resort!!! Is there anywhere online to book a train ticket and if so what do i punch in? I'm getting stressed now as we leave on the 1st March!!