We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uday Samudra Building Work

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Uday Samudra Building Work

I am due to stay at the Uday Samudra at the beginning of December 2007 and have read that there are major building works going on then. I am bound to get fobbed off by the tour operator - but can anyone give me first hand knowledge of if it is on-going and/or when it is due to finish. Would also be good to know just how bad it really is.

Cheers

Kovalam, India
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Uday Samudra Building Work

The Kovalam area is always being developed. There has been building going on it that area for the past 4 years. Houses being knocked down, cafe's and shops being built. I will check with a friend who is an auto driver and let you know what the situation is now.

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uday Samudra Building Work

That would be great - thanks. It would just be reassuring to know that we won't be staying in a total building site.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uday Samudra Building Work

We're due to stay at the Uday Samudra in November and have read the report about building works and lack of facilities. As we chose this hotel for it's many facilities and hoping it would be quiet we're very concerned. I've just had a reply from First Choice saying they know nothing of any works but we're not happy that this is necessarily the most up to date information. I'm waiting for a reply to my email to the Hotel and will post it when they respond. Any first hand information would be most welcome.

Romford Essex
Level Contributor
113 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uday Samudra Building Work

Hi. We visit Kovalam twice a year and since 2001 have always stayed at the Uday.Yes the hotel has been heavily developed over the years and in March they were finishing off a few areas. I must say we have been when a lot of building work has been going on but it has never intruded on our holiday. The work was always screened. Listen, don't worry, I don't know where you read that but I can assure you, no way will it be a building site. You'll love it. Have a great time. We fly out 16th Nov so we'll be coming home as you arrive. Enjoy.

5. Re: Uday Samudra Building Work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:10 pm, October 23, 2007
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uday Samudra Building Work

I've telephoned First Choice and been assured there are no building works - not sure I believe this. I have also received an email from them confirming this so am taking a copy with me and if there are any problems we'll insist that we are moved. Just want some peace and quiet!

I've emailed the hotel twice but they've ignored me so can only assume they don't want to tell us what's taking place. This will be our fourth trip to India, hope it's memorable for the right reasons.

At least the weather looks as if it might be improving.

Kovalam, India
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Uday Samudra Building Work

Here is a POST by Disallusioned212 and I take no credit for writting this.

uday samudra in november

Posted on: 3:49 am, November 09, 2007

Dear fabby,

My family of five were booked for a total of 3+5 days in October 07,at Uday Sumudra on the reccomendation of our travel agent in Delhi. Booking was made more than a month in advance and we were assured that all our requirements would be met, like getting adjacent rooms, away from any noisy swimming pools, on the ground floor. Despite all requirements being confirmed, we were rooms apart on our second visit.

We got to know that massive constuction work was in progress very close to the rooms allotted to us, after we arrived.

The AC in one of the rooms we were allotted was leeking water just near the beds, and though some of us had just arrived after a long haul flight we could not rest till this was sorted out!

The staff were reluctant to 'serve'. One day bed tea arrived 2 hours after it was ordered, when we were leaving for breakfast!

The dining hall staff were in plenty, but stood around unless asked to serve. One the first day itself they refused to put two tables together so that the family could dine together. It was done only when we raised our voices.

Food would run out in the dishes on the buffet table and would be replenished only when some guest drew their attention to it. By the time it arrived the rest of our meal was already cold.

The hotel in its present state is suitable only for those who are staying there for a day and are not overlly concerned with good serve and construction noise all day. Both got us down as we had hoped for a peaceful holiday pampered by good service.

I cannot recommend Uday Summudra for a holiday in its present state.

As for the rain, it is the least of your problems as you are unlikely to be trekking around, and it rains for short spells now.

Disallusioned212

Bristol
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uday Samudra Building Work

We are also booked in from 16 November to 7 December...I really hope the building work is'nt too heavy as its our honeymoon :(

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uday Samudra Building Work

I have just come back from the World Travel Market where the UDS were exhibiting. I have spoken to one of the owners who assured me that all building work has finished!! So really don't know what is going on. Still haven't heard anything from Manos, the tour op. However - have lodged a concern with them and still waiting for them to contact me. Doesn't sound as though I - or anyone else - can get a straight answer from anyone on this one.

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uday Samudra Building Work

Suprise suprise, I have just had a call from thomas cook to say that there is building work taking place, They have said that it is just plastering and plumbing but that noise could be a problem. I can't get through to anyone at the moment to give further advice but as soon as I have any clarification I'll post it.