We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas ...?

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
453 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Visas ...?

I live in Spain and am wondering how I go about getting a visa for my holiday . I have heard that the tour company will sort this out for you but then I 've also heard that you need to collect it in person...can anyone shed any light on the subject for me .

Plus...I've fancied Kerala for a long time , please tell me I won't be disappointed , that the food is amazing , the views breathtaking and I'll be safe to potter around in the evening....?

India
Level Contributor
464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visas ...?

For visa to India it is best to contact the Indian embassy directly and they should be located either in Barcelona or Madrid. A telephone call to the embassy would clarify if you have to be there is person or not.

Keralan food is spicey and tasteful . The backwater area have breathtaking views as well as the mountains in Munnar which overlook tea plantations. The beaches are nice but definetly not the best when compared to Goa . Kerala is relatively safe walking around in the evenings and inorder to be secure make enquires with the hotels that you stay how safe it is etc.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,309 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visas ...?

Kerala is not disappointing in the least!

There is culture, cuisine, Ayurveda, beaches, wildlife, backwaters... enough and more to do on a vacation. If you go there during the Trichur Elephant festival, you will come away with some amazing experiences.

I actually think the beaches and backwaters are better than Goa. We went on a backwater boat ride and there was something surreal and serene about it. The scenery in Kerala is lusher, greener, more tropical than Goa.

The wildlife sanctuaries are very good, Periyar and Thekkady are very enjoyable. In Periyar we did a boat trip to do wildlife spotting, I liked the experience very much.

The food has a lot of coconut, a bit like Thai, but different spices. There are classical as well as folk dance forms that you will definitely see.

The people are well educated and cultured (only state with 100% literacy in India, I think), they love to debate and discuss politics. The women are vibrant and educated. It is a distinctly different ethos than many other parts of India. There is no female foeticide, this is the only state where the female:male ratio is 104:100, the rest of India is 100:93 with discrimination against women. The state has achieved zero-population growth. A few communities in Kerala are matriarchal.

Whew. I'll stop now.

- Deepa

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
453 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visas ...?

Thank you both for the info...as for the visa , well I did look on the Indian embassy website but it didn't mention if you had to collect n person only that you could apply by post . So I reckon a phone call should clear that up .

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visas ...?

If you have the time apply by post but remember that the visa is valid from date of issue, not date of travel, so don't apply too early.

Chennai
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visas ...?

I do quiet agree with Deepa on the comments made by her on Kerala

You can visit Kumarakom which is a very good place, full of backwaters and nature in abundance.

Ideal routing would be Munnar (Hill station) Thekeddy ( Wildlife Sanctuary) Kumarakom ( backwaters) and Kovalam ( beaches) so that you can experience all this at one shot. But you should need atleast 10 days time to visit these places at leisure.

you can squeeze it in a weeks time too but that would become quiet hectic.

6. Re: Visas ...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, August 27, 2009