We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7

Which Soldotna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
washington dc
Level Contributor
694 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7

Can anybody recommend reliable Bear viewing trip out of Soldotna? Talon and Natron are two that I found. However, Talon seems to be more fishing tour and I could not find reviews on Natron.

Would you recommend taking the Bear viewing out of Homer instead?

What would be good place Sep 6-7?

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7

I have used Natron to get to Lake Clark National Park/Silver Salmon Creek Lodge. Owner/pilot Tim Pope does offer a day trip as well as a shorter flightseeing trip to see bears on the beach at SSCL.

For what you'd pay for a day trip (around $600pp) I think it is a greater value to do the overnighter (around $800pp at SSCL). Natron's bear viewing flightseeing trip is $350pp for about a two hour tour.

They fly out of Soldotna and have a secure (fenced in) parking area where you can confidently leave your rental car or RV while you're away on the tour.

As for Sept 6-7, that is the date we did our overnight to SSCL back in 2010. It was very good and we had plenty of opportunities to see the bears w/cubs.

This travel journal has a trip report (in two parts) on our trip to SSCL including the flight over with Natron . . . and plenty of photos: igougo.com/journal-j74687-Alaska-US_National… .

p.s. The photo of the Natron plane on the beach is of Tim with a couple of his tour guests that stopped by on his flightseeing tour that includes viewing on the beach at Lake Clark NP. As you will, a bear is walking right by the landed plane!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7

Whoops, the Natron review is attached to this journal: igougo.com/review-r1378015-Air_Taxi_Service_… . The photo of the bear that had walked under Tim's plane is attached here.

washington dc
Level Contributor
694 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7

Thank you so much for your well written journal. We will be in Alaska Aug 31 - Sep 10 - basically 3 days in Denali, 1 day Whittier, 2 days bear viewing, 3 days Seward area.

Have you done the day cruise from whittier for the tidewater glacers? We will also be doing Kenai Fjords cruise.

Yes, we might go with the SSCL for overnight - our one BIG splurge on the trip. Just that it seems to add up with 3 of us .

Thanks again

LaGrange, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7

We just got back from Alaska and the hi-lite of the trip was the bear watching. Natron Air flew us over to Homestead Lodge in Lake Clark area. It is beyond believeable. We had 9 bears on the beach as we landed. We stayed overnite so we could see more bears. Probably 20 -25 bears and Scott our guide was great. Took us within 25 feet of the bears. The lodge, the guides, the hosts, the cooks, Natron Air......all very very very good!!!

Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7

Do you mind sharing in the cost of this bear tour. I am considering a day trip instead of overnight due to cost. Sounds wonderful. Thank you.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7

Printmaker . . . both Silver Salmon Creek Lodge and Natron Air have websites. You can look them up to see what their costs are for 2013 tours.

Back in 2010, I think it was $595 for the day (which included lunch) and $795pp for the overnight with SSCL. The overnight included lunch, dinner and breakfast the next morning.

Natron Air was the flight company used for both. If you wanted to do shorter flightseeing tour with Natron, they offered that for around $300. You may or may not see bears when they do their brief "beach landing" at Lake Clark NP.

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7

I recommend you call Susan at High Adventure Air Charter in Soldotna. Located on Longmere Lake. Beaver float planes and the best guides and customer service. Susan will always find a way to make your trip special.

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7

High Adventure Air $340 for a 6-Hour Bear Tour. UP CLOSE & PERSONAL for sure. Great photo opps. Also, depending on the month you are visiting, but the alternate location in the Fall to Lake Clark National Park is the one to do. And the guide grills a fresh salmon on the boat or shore. A true experience in Alaska... Float plane, guided bear tour, volcanoes, National Park, grilled salmon and all that in one 6 hour day! THAT my friend, is an Alaskan experience!

Reply to: Fly in Bear viewing out of Soldotna Sep 6-7
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted