We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small plane

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Small plane

KODIAK, Alaska (AP) - A small commercial plane carrying 10 people crashed in the water off Kodiak Island on Saturday, authorities said.

Five people have been rescued and authorities said they are trying to recover the others. It was not clear whether those still in the Gulf of Alaska survived.

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Small plane

Just as an update, four people survived, six died, including the pilot. There have been reports that the nose cone baggage door came open but they are still investigating.

The plane had taken off, radioed the need to return and turned around to come back. They hit the water just before the runway (yes, our runway takes off over the ocean). An Andrew Air floatplane was onsite and pulled the four survivors out of the water as the Coast Guard was arriving.

The plane that crashed is one that is regularly used for flights to and from our villages on Kodiak. I was on it in November. This time, however, it was a chartered flight taking Russian fisherman home to Homer for the Russian holidays. The owner of the flight company is a local boy. This is a hard hit for the Kodiak community.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Small plane

I'm so sorry to hear about this accident. What a loss this must be for the community. My thoughts are with the families of the victims.

3. Re: Small plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 16, 2009