We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to fill ONE DAY in Ketchikan...

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need to fill ONE DAY in Ketchikan...

I'm not not staying the night, just one day. Here's the jist of it. My girlfriend and I will be there early May '05 and will have about 10 hours during the day to kill. I'm fat and out of shape so walking (not long hikes) is about the most activity I'm up for. I'm not interested in Lumberjack shows or looking at Totem Poles either. I like nature, food, looking around and relaxing. Any suggestions?

ketchikan AK
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to fill ONE DAY in Ketchikan...

If you'd like to go fishing or just get a great guided tour of the area by boat, I'd suggest you contact Dave Ausman of Gold Coast Lodge. Dave is a great guy, has won the halibut derby like 10 years in a row, the salmon derby several times too. He can take you away from the island which is where the usual charter guys go. He has a really nice 32 foot boat, is super safe and easy-going. You'll have to look up the number, but it's Gold Coast Lodge or just Dave Ausman, Ketchikan, AK. Have a great trip!

Melissa Ausman (ex-wife!!) see what a great guy he is, I still recommend him, he made me a great fisher-person!

Ketchikan, Alaska
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to fill ONE DAY in Ketchikan...

I know there are a few tours you might be interested in. There is the amphibious duck tour (www.akduck.com), and a Jeep/Hummer tour. Also there is a horse drawn trolley. You will be able to sign up for those tours on the cruise ship dock. Be sure to bring warm clothing! Also don't forget we get a lot of rain here.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to fill ONE DAY in Ketchikan...

Take a cab out to Ward Lake....about $10 and enjoy the most beautiful one mile circular, flat walk in Alaska.. Everyone in our family does it from 4 years old to 85 with little effort. There are many places to sit around the lake and a beautiful beach/picnic area. Arrange with the cab to pick you up an hour later and take you back to town for lunch at the relaxing and beautiful Cape Fox Lodge. In the afternoon, don't miss the film at the Discovery Center, or a cup of coffee at Luna's across the street. The library has a gorgeous view of the creek and is a fun place to browse nearby. The usual shopping should fill out the rest of the time with no problem.

Eatonton, Georgia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to fill ONE DAY in Ketchikan...

Hello everyone!!!

I will be in Ketchikan for only one day, too, but it will be on the 4th of July!!! I have enjoyed reading this thread for ideas on things to do while we are there. I understand you have a parade on the 4th....are tourists welcomed then? I can't find much info about it, such as what time it is or whether there are any other events or celebrations that day. I had thought about a floatplane trip with Island Wings (Michelle gets glowing accolades from TripAdvisor and CruiseCritic), but they will not be flying that day due to the parade in town. We may just take the suggestion about walking at Ward Lake and lunch at the Cape Fox Lodge or visiting the library. Or maybe contacting Dave Ausman of Gold Coast Lodge for a tour of the area by boat. (That post was over a year old, so I'm not sure if that option is still viable). I would love another fishing trip, but have to be somewhat conservative with the money. We will be fishing with Fishful-Think-N in Skagway (can't wait - my husband is REALLY looking forward to that!)

So what do the local experts think? Join the parade, tour the area by boat, splurge on another fishing trip, go with another floatplane company or a nice walk by the lake to soak up some Alaskan nature (and maybe not soak up the rain!)

Other ideas???

Thanks so much!

Ketchikan, Alaska
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to fill ONE DAY in Ketchikan...

I wish I'd seen your post sooner. I was busy going to my 30 year class reunion over the 4th of July holiday. It was great seeing my old classmates again! I live here and see a few of them, but a dozen of them came from out of town. We went to the bowling alley bar for our potluck dinner, Ward Lake for a barbecue, jet boat tour at Salmon Falls, then we were on a float in the parade. A good time was had by all!

6. Re: Need to fill ONE DAY in Ketchikan...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 15, 2009