We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floater plan ride while pregnant

Toronto
13 posts
Save Topic
Floater plan ride while pregnant

Hi All,

I haven't seen floater plane; but planning to take a ride in ketchikan. Is it safe for pregnant lady? I am mainly worried about take off and landing.

Please advise.

thanks

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Floater plan ride while pregnant

Have you considered asking your doctor?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Floater plan ride while pregnant

Yes ask you doctor, but as I recall of all the times I have flown on a float plane (maybe 10 times) I have never heard the pilot ask if anyone was pregnant......they do ask everyone's weight so they can distribute it more efficiently......

The float planes fly at low altitude and since they take off and land on water, it is usually very smooth......it can be very loud, though, be prepared, most pilots will provide you with ear plugs........

Listen to the pilot on boarding the airplane, you will need to duck under the wing and if you are disembarking you will step out on the float pontoon.......the pilot will either have you wait there while he pulls the plane onto the beach, or once a pilot actually picked me up piggyback style and carried me through the shallow water to shore.....now that's what I call service !!....

At any rate the most important thing is to just listen to the pilot, and go with whatever routine he has in place.......

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Floater plan ride while pregnant

I guess I should have added that as have flown in float planes. Landing is very smooth, not like some of those "captain crunch" landings of the big jets

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,347 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Floater plan ride while pregnant

This is sort of like passports, border crossings, immigration.... Why are you asking us? As mentioned above, if you have a concern, this is a question for a properly trained medical professional.

.... though I did one stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,642 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Floater plan ride while pregnant

Well - commonsense tells me that women live all over Alaska, and therefore, women also pregnant fly in all kinds of planes all over Alaska as well. Other than flying dangers, I would presume you would be good to go, but as stated - only a medical professional would be the one to trust with advice rather than the good TA folks. :)

Edited: 12:53 pm, May 16, 2013
Albuquerque, New...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Floater plan ride while pregnant

We flew last year. The take off and landings were very smooth. Loved it so much we will do it again this year.

Toronto
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Floater plan ride while pregnant

thanks a lot for all your comments..

8. Re: Floater plan ride while pregnant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 22, 2014