We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept Alaskan Cruise

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bennington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sept Alaskan Cruise

I've booked a trip to cruise Southeast Alaska next month. I had planned on doing a day cruise out of Seward touring Kenai Fjords. However similar type day cruise for Misty Fjords out of Ketichican. With limited time I am concerned this might be a little bit of a duplication. Should I do both? And if NOT...which one would you recommend? Clearly there are amazing things to do in each port. Would hate to duplicate and miss out on a different adventure. Thank you :-)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept Alaskan Cruise

No duplication at all actually. The Kenai Fjords trip (6 hours or longer - nothing shorter!!) emphasizes marine wildlife and spends time at a tidewater glacier. The Misty Fjords trip is mostly scenic into Misty Fjords National Monument. It really depends on how much time you have in each place and what your interests and priorities are. But during my trip to Alaska in May/June I was on a boat multiple times during the 17 days. Seward, Homer (twice), Whittier (twice), and Juneau. Also took a water taxi in Seward besides the Kenai Fjords tour. You can't be on a boat or in an airplane enough in Alaska.

Bennington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept Alaskan Cruise

LOL... I was afraid you were gonna say that! :-) My interests are "everything" and hard to prioritize. Even "more" research is in order I guess...So many opportunities...so many adventures...NOT NEARLY enough time...

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sept Alaskan Cruise

Who is going? Just yourself? Other adults? Kids? Where are you going before the cruise and which ports are you in during the cruise? When in September is your trip? Where does your cruise depart from? How long are you in each port? Answering those questions could help to narrow down your options.

Note that the weather tends to deteriorate in SE Alaska later in September (sometimes in southcentral Alaska too). In fact I was snowed in at Denali NP one year in mid September. Hoping that won't happen when I go back there next month!

4. Re: Sept Alaskan Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 21, 2013