We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

residential walking tour

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cape coral florida
Level Contributor
154 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
residential walking tour

My wife and I enjoy spending a bit of time walking in residential areas of a city and viewing the architecture which local residents deem "special" for whatever reasons they may choose.Perhaps an hour or so. Are there any such areas immediately adjacent to the downtown area that would not require a long trip to get to? To you local residents of Ketchikan what makes any residential area of your city "special" in your eyes. ( Yes, we are doing floatplane and ziplining,etc. on this trip but we thought Ketchikan looked appealing for this type of a walk. Wrong??

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: residential walking tour

Well you are in luck! Ketchikan has a longtime non-profit that does an elaborate Walking Tour Map the offers several walks with historic highlights all originating in the downtown area. Pick one up at either of our two Visitor Bureau buildings near all four berths and/or at the Public Library. Ketchikan is 112 years old and has more historic buildings than any other community in the state and an active preservation program even though we fight the effects of our rain and wind constantly, so they are not all showplaces. I particularly like to walk in the neighborhood above our very visible tunnel (the only one in the world you can drive through, walk around or walk on top of) that has many beautiful old homes from the turn of the century through 1920's. We call it Snob Hill locally.

cape coral florida
Level Contributor
154 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: residential walking tour

Thanks. Where ixactly is the tunnel in relation to the dock area

or the Creek street area? Appriciate it.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: residential walking tour

Tunnel is basically across the street from Berth Two. We have four berths spanning about a two mile stretch of harbor. Creek St. is approximately four blocks inland directly from Berth Two. Everything is walkable, but there is a free downtown shuttle from Berth Three and Four which can help you get closer to the heart of downtown more quickly if desired. It makes a loop to popular attractions about twice an hour.

Whakatane, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: residential walking tour

Sounds fab - my husband and I were there 3 years ago but are returning again in August and we are also looking at spending more time just wandering around the town and taking in the different sights within this area - I agree Ketchikan is a pretty little town that definitely warrants more "wandering time". Very much looking forward to it!!

5. Re: residential walking tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:42 am, June 22, 2013