We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with cruise excursions! please!

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Florida...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
help with cruise excursions! please!

Hi I'm taking a cruise with carnival in aug. when in alaska we stop in skagway ketchitan and juneau. I want to see bears and eagles and whales. Basically as many wild animals as possible. However the cruise excursions are sooo expensive. Do you think i'll see eagles and whales from my cruise ship and then i can spend the money on a different excursion? If i knew i would see the eagles and bears and whales from my cruise ship or from the shore somewhere off port, i could do helicopter dog sledding combo! Please any advice related to wildlife excursions would be so helpful!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: help with cruise excursions! please!

Tazz, if you want to book Misty Fiords by boat, you will need to book a ship excursion. Allen Marine runs this tour and they do not knowingly book someone on this tour if they are on a cruise. I have read of some people who stopped at their office and booked last minute. However, if you want to be sure to get on it, book it through your cruiseline.

OP: Alaska is expensive if you want to see its wilderness. Try to budget the best you can for excursions that will help you see/do what you want.

LaGrange, Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: help with cruise excursions! please!

Just got back last week from Alaska. We went to Homestead Lodge out of Solddotna for bears. Stayed overnight and saw bears, mom, mom and cubs males, threesomes and moresomes. Bears everywhere, but this won't fit with a cruise ship. We took Harv and Marve's tour out of Juneau and saw whales, Orcas, seals and eagles. Some right along side the boat. Photos look like from National Geographic. Capt Kay was our guide. We were the only 5 on the boat so we had plenty of room. Some tours are in bigger boats but may have 200 or so passengers. First to the rail gets the picture and don't expect them to step back so you can see. We never had a problem, plenty of room and very knowledgeable captain right there to answer questions.

Bradenton, FL
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: help with cruise excursions! please!

Lee, do you still have contact info for Harv and Marv? Did you book directly with them or through a ship? Thanks for your help.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: help with cruise excursions! please!

You have to book Harv and Marvs directly. They are not a ship excursion.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: help with cruise excursions! please!

Here is Harv and Marv's website:

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/

Bradenton, FL
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: help with cruise excursions! please!

Thanks to fti and happy traveler for the info.

27. Re: help with cruise excursions! please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, December 14, 2013