We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

We will be in port one day in May w a Princess cruise. Any suggestions about how to best utilize our time and see the area is most welcome. Thank you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

You didn't indicate your interests so it's hard to make suggestions.....

Your ship should have an excursion list for each port. You can either use the ship's list or find a private vendor for the excursion. Is there something in particular you're interested in?

If you don't want to participate in an excursion, Ketchikan is a lovely town with an interesting history. Pick up a free map at the info booths and do self guided walking tour of the town. Visit one of the totem parks. Did you read the Top Questions area in the upper right corner of this page? or on the left side of the page you'll find 'Ketchikan tourism' and 'things to do'.

When you need info about a town, google the town's name with the words visitor information and you'll find lots of good info on the town's web site.

http://www.ketchikanalaska.com/index.html

Edited: 5:57 pm, February 19, 2012
Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

When we have out of town guests, we start with the amazing displays at the Discovery Center, walk to the library/museum for local history and then head to Saxman or Totem Bight for outdoor time and totem poles. You can take the bus from the library to either park. Somewhere in there we make time for fresh fish and chips. I like the outdoor Halibut Hole on Creek St.. the more refined dining at the Cape Fox Lodge, above Creek St. accessible by funicular, and The Fish House next door to the Lumberjack Show. If you have kids, the show is a hoot and the Duck Tour is also a blast. Happy travels!

Ketchikan, Alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

if you want to see totem poles, I recommend the Saxmon tour. The tour that you want includes a bus to Saxmon Village, an opening talk, seeing the dancers, and a guided tour of the totems with their stories.

Another great tour is the George Inlet crab feed, boat tour. I've taken my mom on it twice. That one is a lot of fun.

The Aleutian Ballard has a "Deadliest Catch" tour - but it is 4 hours and they don't feed you much (be aware.) They are really fun and nice.

The Rainforest Sanctuary walk is beautiful, and the ziplines are fun.

Taking a tour sponsored by your cruise ship ensures that they "hold the boat" for you, if your tour is running late. I would advise if you do an excursion to do it early, and give yourself a few hours to walk around and enjoy the downtown area.

Anything downtown can be walked to from your boat: Creek Street, the Discovery Center, the Lumberjack Show, and of course the dozens of t-shirt shops. The tram up to Cape Fox Lodge is worthwhile, just to get a great view of downtown. There is also a walking tour that is easy, although it is a several-mile loop.

One more thing: to be smiled at by the locals, including me, please do NOT walk into the middle of the road to get a better picture of anything. And please be polite - we do not all work for the cruise ship companies and tourist stores. Most of us who live here, love to share our town, if you are polite.

Enjoy your day!

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

One more thing: to be smiled at by the locals, including me, please do NOT walk into the middle of the road to get a better picture of anything. And please be polite - we do not all work for the cruise ship companies and tourist stores. Most of us who live here, love to share our town, if you are polite.

that is the best advise you can give anyone for anywhere in the world.

thanks i am doing a lot of research for my own trip and use TA quite a bit and give that same bit of advise also

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
184 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

Neets Bay floatplane ride and bear watch was great for us.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

It may be a little early in the summer to hope to see bears........

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
184 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

AAAAHHHHH yes that was in August. Don't have that local knowledge sorry. Just reminiscing how good it was.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

We walked up Creek street and all the shops, walked to Discovery Center and beat the crowds from the ship.

Once the crowds arrived we headed back out and walked around the town, admiring the Toteum poles in the yards of the locals, admiring the homes of the locals and the different types of landscaping and gardens, the beautiful scenery, it was hilly but an easy walk.

We then checked out a few stores, had a cup of coffee than headed back to the ship as it was leaving around 2 pm.

We got snacks and some drinks and sat on our balcony and watched the eagles as we cruised away!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
39 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

If you like to hike, the Deer Mountain trail is incredible, but you'll want to give about five hours for the round trip to the summit and back -- just to be on the safe side. You basically start off at sea level and go to 3,000 feet. The views of the area from various points along the trail will take your breath away. You find panoramic view of mountain peaks, forests, islands, and ocean.

Flora and fauna is fantastic, and you can also spot wildlife. The upper portion of the hike is alpine. So you go through several eco-systems.

So if you have the time, and want some great exercise, do Deer Mountain.

10. Re: May trip to Ketchikan - one day, best ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, May 27, 2013