We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ketchikan boat rental, good idea?

Reading...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ketchikan boat rental, good idea?

I am traveling to Ketchikan with my three grown children and their spouses. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to rent a boat and get a map and do our own adventure. Will we see anything on our own?

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ketchikan boat rental, good idea?

In a word, no. Five minutes out of town you are surrounded by the hundreds of islands in the Inside Passage where every beach, cove, inlet and island will look exactly the same. Unless you are an expert at marine navigation, you risk being terribly lost. My Alaskan born husband who grew up on a fishing boat knows each piece of land by name, but after decades here I can't tell a single landmass from another. It's pretty spooky out of the open ocean without an experienced boat captain unless you just hug the shore, but even that has navigational hazards...this is rocky coastline. And what would you see? Likely water and trees. Most of us go out to head to cabins owned by friends or the Forest Service, have previous knowlege of popular wildlife viewing areas or have specific destinations for long weekends or fishing trips. If you want to go fishing, give Ketchikan Charter Boats a call www.ketchikancharterboats.com/ If you just want to see the sights, they are all right here on our island...totem parks, beaches, hiking trails, museums, shops and restaurants. If you want a boating trip to Misty Fjords, get hold of Allen Marine www.allenmarinetours. For sea kayaking, I like Southeast Sea Kayaks at www.kayakketchikan.com or Southeast Exposure at www.southeastexposure.com.

Reading...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ketchikan boat rental, good idea?

Thank you so much. The guy I spoke with said he would send us up the Nahaw river 12-14 miles. I think we'll go with ketchikan outdoors on the inflatable boats that you drive with a guide. I was trying to save some $$ since there are eight of us, everything X 8 gets pricey.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ketchikan boat rental, good idea?

I would think if you have experience driving a boat, the river trip would be do-able......rainbirder gave you good advice about not taking the boat out in the ocean waters......that's the way I had originally read your question, too.....but a river trip for a family of adults may be very enjoyable, take rain gear, maybe some fishing gear, look for wildlife on the banks......

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ketchikan boat rental, good idea?

lhege, the man you spoke to was talking about Naha Bay, which opens up to the Naha River, a thirty minute boat ride in open ocean from the Knudson Cove Marina, which is a 25 minute drive from downtown Ketchikan. There is a popular, but very difficult trail there....it's steep, rocky and slippery when wet. Not a lot of fun, but locals have to use it to get to a popular church/boy scout camp called Orton Ranch which is quite lovely. My family hiked the Naha trail a few weeks ago and it's in such disrepair that a boy they were traveling with fell through the boardwalk and had to be pulled out by several men. There is also a tiny hamlet of cabins called Loring in that direction which is a popular place to dock your boat before you turn around. For the hundreds of dollars a good sized boat would cost to rent for the day you could have just as much fun renting a couple of cars and heading out to Settler's Cove state park north of town, hiking the trails, and enjoying the beach. No need to boat 30 miles up ocean to see exactly the same landscape. On your way north you can get good takeout food at Ward Cove Market or detour a few blocks to Knudson Cove Marina where the Dockside Cafe takeout place has great burgers, fish, shrimp, ice cream, etc.

ketchikan, alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ketchikan boat rental, good idea?

You might want to think about a vacation rental on the water that comes with a boat. You can go exploring the beaches by foot for excellent beach combing on the backside of Pennock Island or you can explore with the boat that comes with the house. Check out the vacation rentals for Ketchikan on Pennock Island. This house house has a hot tub as well and is really fun for outdoor living and exploring SE Alaska in a truly local way.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ketchikan boat rental, good idea?

Welcome to the forum Pennock.....Would you happen to own the vacation rental ?........

One thought on renting a boat (or vacation home with a boat) is to make sure that the boat is aluminum, maybe a small skiff that can be beached......also be sure to pick up a Tide Book prior to going out in the boat......the tidal fluctuations can vary greatly in just a few hours....you may find your boat high and dry after exploring awhile........

We rented a vacation cabin in Juneau a few years ago that came with a skiff and had a wonderful time, but since then I have found it nearly impossible to find a rental with a boat for guest use........an insurance requirement of some kind.....

7. Re: Ketchikan boat rental, good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, August 20, 2013