We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ketchikan by car

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ketchikan by car

We will be in Ketchikan on a cruise ship from 7 AM - 1 PM. We are looking at renting a car and plan to visit at least one of the totem parks. Does anyone have suggestions or comments about which additional parks and such to visit also? I see several parks on the map with trails, and can't decide which ones to visit. We enjoying walking/hiking as long as it's not too difficult.

Thanks for any comments!

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ketchikan by car

I would recommend Settler's Cove State Park, there are a couple interconnecting trails there, Lunch Falls Loop and Lunch Creek, that are very nice. It is all the way to the north end of the road. There are also several nice trails in the Ward Lake area, the trail around the lake is very nice, it's about a mile and a half around.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ketchikan by car

Thank you for the information, rainbirdbrain!

I have been considering those locations, and it's sure difficult deciding which ones to visit since we won't be in the area long. Do you have any input about what kind of scenery, etc. to expect? Another thought I had is maybe scrapping the rental car and just hiking up Deer Mt as far as we can get. I realize this is kind of a steep climb/walk, and we won't make it all the way with the amount of time we'll have; however, if the views and such are better...

I appreciate the information ~

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ketchikan by car

I agree with Settler's Cove...it's the perfect combination of gorgeous beach, nature trails and longer hiking trails depending upon your time and interests. Another bonus is that you can stop at Totem Bight State Park on your way there and walk the lovely paths, charming secluded beach, see Totems', enjoy the bookstore, etc. It's all on the same road..."North Tongass." I'm not a fan of Deer Mountain Trail unless you are here for several days. First of all, the walk to the trailhead is brutal....it's on a very, very steep road more than a mile from the cruise ship docks. The road up is so steep that our school buses won't go there on snowy days. That's just to the trail head. Then add a trail that goes up, up, up with virtually no switchbacks and the biggest step ups I've ever seen....we joke that the former 6 foot 7 Forest Service employee who used to live here designed the trail....and it's a recipe for severe leg and knee pain unless you are in tremendous physical condition. Worst of all is that the trail is mostly tree covered and you can't see a darn thing except at a few lookouts. I much prefer the vistas of Ward Lake, the waterfront bike path, Perserverence Trail, or the often overlooked charms of the Carlanna Lake Trail which is right in town and follows a wilderness water system. And if it's views you want, a quick walk above downtown to the "bypass" will get you a marvelous walk along a ridgeline that faces the ocean. For a more challenging hike, take the Rainbird Trail from the bypass and see natural forest flora and fauna for about a 30 minute hike before exiting back on the bypass and then walking downhill back to town.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,914 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ketchikan by car

I think for six hours you will be paying for a full day's rental costs. Don't forget the time it takes to get and return the car. If it is totems you want to see you can do that on foot

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ketchikan by car

Great info, rainbirdreader--thanks!

Germantown, New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ketchikan by car

Is there a bus that runs to Bight Totem Park?

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ketchikan by car

Walk to the Tunnel on Front St. or the Public Library at Dock and Bawden to catch the Blue Line Northbound bus for $1 per person or .50 cents for students and seniors. Plan on 30 minutes to Totem Bight which is about 12 miles away. The bus and stops right in front of the Park office and returns to Totem Bight every hour going south, so your total trip time is at least two hours point to point. At Totem Bight, pick up their brochure for an explanation of the totem poles ($1 donation) and take a leisurely self guided walk around the park. I know the bus leaves the library on the :45 of the hour each hour and gets to the tunnel a minute later or so. The blue line does not run on weekends. See borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/BusTimetable.htm for more information, maps, schedules, etc.

New York
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ketchikan by car

For the Blue bus, as noted walk toward the tunnel, There is a nice eagle totem, and bus shelter on your side of the street. CROSS the street, there is a signpost at the bus stop. You want to take the bus, going in the direction, toward the tunnel.

Allow 3 hours for Totem Bight, print out and take the totem guide with you.

I also like Preserverence Trail, just past Ward Lake.

9. Re: Ketchikan by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 28, 2012