We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

Orange Co., CA
Level Contributor
185 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

We are going to Alaska on a cruise with friends. The friends want to take an excursion called Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion. I have not heard anything about this excursion on cruisecritic or this site. Many other excursions are mentioned, but not this one. Has anyone ever heard of it or taken it? Would appreciate any info you can provide. I have seen their tour description on their website, but nothing else.

I

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

From my research is it appears to cater to cruise ships as I found it listed on Disney Cruise and Holland America cruisies get a 20% discount. I did however find this board about them …cruisecritic.com/archive/…t-490467.html and their home page http://www.lighthouseexcursion.com/.

My gut feeling is they are not that good since they pretty much have a captive supply of tourist from the cruise ships.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

I have been on this excursion several times as Captain Rob offers his boat for local fundraisers. If you want an up close view of the flora and fauna in our waterways and lots of local lore told by a longtime resident, then you will enjoy this tour. The boat is small, the Captain is quite a talker, and the snacks are tasty. That said, I never understand why anyone gets OFF a CRUISE SHIP wanting to go out on the water unless it is for fishing.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

>>I never understand why anyone gets OFF a CRUISE SHIP wanting to go out on the water unless it is for fishing.

Well, that I have to disagree with you on. I take quite a few boat tours in Alaska. It is a great way to see things up close - much closer than from a cruise ship. Tracy Arm and whale watching excursions in Juneau are great and you see much more than from a cruise ship. Kenai Fjords tour in Seward gets you way closer to marine wildlife and a glacier than a cruise ship will. And ditto for a Prince William Sound glacier tour.

Orange Co., CA
Level Contributor
185 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate it. I agree, though, that small boat touring is wonderful. Much different than a large ship. Only thing I DON'T like on a small boat (or any boat I guess) is rough water!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

If that is a shore excursion you are talking about, we took one of those "lighthouse" excursions out of either Ketchikan or Juneau. The lighthouse part was sailing around it and not visiting it. And, the weater was bad.

Regarading Totems, when in Haines in 1994 we saw one Native Alaskan making one for sale at $1000 per foot. Walk around Ketchikan and you will see them. And, the eagles can be all over.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

This is an informative and fun tour, the scenery is nice, and Captain Rob is very entertaining. As someone said, you don't actually set foot on the island where the lighthouse is, you just go around it. Also, he tries to get you to buy a membership for Guard Island Heritage without revealing his role in the organization.

Their website is here:

http://www.lighthouseexcursion.com/

Kamloops, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

I was on this tour last September. They had just won the C.R.U.I.S.E. "Tour Guide of the Year" Award for the 8th year in a row. They delivered every thing I had seen on their web site: www.lighthouseexcursion.com I would recommend this excursion to all, especially eagle photographers.

Kamloops, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

Lighthouse, Totems & EAGLES Excursion has earned "Tour Guide of the Year" for EACH of the past 9 years in Alaska. They are rated FIVE STAR by NCL guest's comments. They serve 1,000's of guests per season in Ketchikan, Alaska. They offer 10 eagle nest on their tour route so abundant American Bald Eagles are guaranteed.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

Curious as to why you would pull up an old thread to respond with a second round pointing out the same thing as in your one and only other post.......it would appear that you have a personal interest in this tour.......American Bald Eagles are indeed so abundant you may not need to pay for a tour to see and photograph them......

Temple, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone Ever Heard of Lighthouse Totems & Eagles Excursion in

This was the best excursion we went on while on our cruise to Alaska. Capt. Rob and his crew were fabulous! He even let me drive the boat! Very informative and entertaining. And you have to just love his dog Pricness who goes on all the trips with him. We will do this excursion again!!