We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bear view in July 2010

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
341 reviews
Save Topic
bear view in July 2010

We'll be on a cruise and docked in Ketchikan July 13 from 10 am to 6 pm

Is that a good time of year to see bears out and about?

Can you recommend a good tour company?

Any one good or have advice?

Mentioned in this post
Ketchikan Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Orca Song Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Ketchitour
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bear view in July 2010

Not sure what you mean by "out and about" but that is a peak time to see bears at Anan Creek Bear Observatory near Wrangell. It requires a fly-in from Ketchikan. Figure $300-$500/person? Just an educated guess.

You need to find a company with permits or obtain the permits yourself.

Here is a link to the permit process.

https:/…

If you click on Reservation Calendar you can see how many permits are avilable. If you click on the actual date (July 13) you will see which companies have permits for that day (many from Wrangell with boats, sometimes some from Ketchikan by plane). Southeast Aviation, Family Air, Seawind and Island Wings I believe all fly from Ketchikan to there.

John

Mentioned in this post
Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bear view in July 2010

The bear watching floatplane trips begin in mid-July, so not sure if they would be available for you. I know there were a few groups at the end of the season last year that didn't see any bears, and the same might be true at the beginning of the season.

The Rainforest Sanctuary hike is a good option, a lot cheaper than a floatplane trip, and you have a fairly good chance, maybe 1 in 3, of seeing a bear.

A lot of the independent tours will take you to Herring Cove, about eight miles south of downtown/docks, where you also have a fairly good chance of seeing a bear, maybe 1 in 5. It's the same area as the Rainforest Sanctuary.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary
Alaska Rainforest...
456 Reviews
Ketchikan, AK
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bear view in July 2010

I was able to book a floatplane trip to Anan with Family Air. Very excited! According to my research we should definitely see bear! My original post had a typo - we'll be in dock on July 15

Edited: 1:57 pm, February 19, 2010
4. Re: bear view in July 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 19, 2010