We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help exploring Ketchican.

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
Level Contributor
325 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need help exploring Ketchican.

Hello,

We will be in Ketchican on September 7th for about 6 hours on a cruise stop. We want to spend our time exploring the town of Ketchican. I am aware of the walking tour but was told this will only take about 2 hours. We would like to take in as much of the local beauty as we can...What would you recommend we do while in town? I was told there is a paved sidewalk along the the water. Is this along a river or along the Ocean?

I'm looking for ideas to help plan our time in Ketchican. Thanks for any and all ideas!!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help exploring Ketchican.

That is Labor Day so I am not sure if the public buses are operating or not. But if so, you might consider taking the bus to Totem Bight park. Print out a description of the totem poles from their website before you leave if you go - makes it much more interesting. Plan on a total of 3 hours on public transit, less time but quite a bit more expensive if you take a taxi.

Another option is to hire a taxi by the hour for a tour of the town.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help exploring Ketchican.

The "sidewalk" you have been told about is a local bike path adjacent to the "highway"...a two lane road...south of town. It is about a fifteen minute walk through downtown past the Tatsuda's grocery store and the Coast Guard Base before you hit the bike path. Then the path runs along the water for about two miles...almost, but not quite as far as Saxman Totem Park. Walk another five minutes or so and you will be in Saxman. If you stop and see the totems or the gift shop, I would allow at least 2 1/2 hours for the walk there and back to town. There are phones and bathrooms in Saxman if you only want to walk one way.

The "walking tour" takes you to dozens of stops in the downtown area and is lots of fun.

I think no trip to Ketchikan would be complete without visiting the Forest Service owned Discovery Center..fabulous exhibits done by Smithsonian type designers...a great bookstore. I also take folks to the local History Museum in the library, to the Totem Heritage Center in our beautiful and historic City Park, and for fish and chips at Halibut Hole or Burger Queen or Cape Fox....all good, but all vastly different dining experiences and/or prices.

If the weather is nice, another walking option is the "bypass" road above downtown. Climb about five city block sized hills and then you are on a relatively flat sidewalk that runs parallel to the ocean above downtown. More advanced hikers can easily find "The Rainbird Trail" from the parking lot along the bypass walk that leads to 200 stairs up into a beautiful rainforest trail that comes out the other end of the bypass road sidewalk. From downtown and back, the bypass walk will take about an hour. Add another hour for doing the Rainbird Trail off the bypass.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
325 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help exploring Ketchican.

Wow, thanks.

I'm gonna print your post and take it with me...Thanks again!

4. Re: Need help exploring Ketchican.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 22, 2010