We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions abt George Inlet Lodge

florida
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
questions abt George Inlet Lodge

I'm thinking of perhaps signing up for this excursion (not yet sure whether to do float plane and coach back or boat and coach back). HOWEVER: I'm not interested in the crabs unless they're fresh. Is August fresh crab season in Alaska or are these frozen crab legs? Thank you.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions abt George Inlet Lodge

I'm pretty sure they are fresh.

florida
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions abt George Inlet Lodge

I've e-mailed the lodge and posed the question about fresh or frozen crabs. They haven't yet replied. If they don't, I'll know not to bother with the place. Meanwhile thank you for your reply.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions abt George Inlet Lodge

It does say on the first page of their web site that it is fresh crab. Part of the tour is pulling up crab pots for photo ops, so I can't imagine why they would ever have frozen crab legs. Hopefully they will get back to you with a definitive answer, but they are pretty busy this time of year.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions abt George Inlet Lodge

I'm not so sure the crab you are eating is fresh. I've talked to a few people who have worked out at the lodge and if you think about it, how do they pull crabs out of the water one minute and instantly serve a nice meal to dozens of people a little while later? Yes, you will see live crab in pots...how do they happen to be there day after day without fail? That said, I eat fresh frozen crab that is steamed all the time and I would defy anyone who is not in the fishery business to tell the difference. The excursion in in beautiful country, you learn a little about a working life on the water and the lodge is to die for, with its shaker like simplicity and stunning view. I wish it was still open to the public like it was years ago.

florida
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions abt George Inlet Lodge

Thank you, Rainbird. I appreciate your taking the time to add to your earlier post.

We live on the Chesapeake Bay-- home of the superb (and fast disappearing) blue crab, my single favorite eating beastie on the planet. In fact, there's a major difference in taste here whether the crab is fresh or not-- hard shells, soft shells, out of the shell meat-- all taste distinctly different (and WAY better) if the crab is fresh rather than "fresh frozen." I'm not sure that people who haven't eaten crab before would know the difference, but veteran crab lovers certainly do.

I've been going back and forth trying to decide whether to do the Misty Fjords Floatplane excursion, or the Flightseeing, George Inlet "feast," return to ship by coach excursion. I liked the idea of the George Inlet trip-- seemed like a nice combination. But I suspect that the scenery at Misty Fjords beats the other scenery, and if the crabs aren't fresh, I think we'll go with that (and hope for good weather!)

Again, I much appreciate your input.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions abt George Inlet Lodge

The last one was rainbirdreader, not me.

florida
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: questions abt George Inlet Lodge

Oops! I'd read the names quickly. Sorry there. (Does everyone in Ketchikan have "rain" in the name?)

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: questions abt George Inlet Lodge

Ha ha, only some of us!

I didn't mean to imply that the crabs you pull out on the boat tour are the ones you're going to eat, obviously that would be impossible, unless you wanted to add an hour or two of sitting around time to the tour.

I'm a vegetarian and don't know much, well, anything about when you can catch crab and when you can't, but I don't think they migrate, or hibernate, or go on hunger strikes.

florida
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: questions abt George Inlet Lodge

In the Chesapeake they do migrate. I.e. one can only get fresh blue crabs "in season": usually May-September.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: questions abt George Inlet Lodge

I happened to be out there today and asked an employee, and I think rainbirdreader was basically correct. They buy their crab from commercial suppliers, and it is, I think he said, cooked, then frozen, then heated again before serving. But not necessarily what you think of when you think of frozen. He tried to explain the process to me, but we didn't have much time to talk.

Hope that helps.