We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rainforest tours on princess cruise

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ny
2 posts
Save Topic
rainforest tours on princess cruise

We're having trouble deciding between two rainforest tours. One is a walking tour through the sanctuary. The other involves a short boat trip to an island, then a hike. Does anyone have information about these? Which is more enjoyable? Which gives a better feeling for the rainforest and its wildlife?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rainforest tours on princess cruise

Also looking for info, as we're trying to make the same decision! Leaning to the one with the inflatable boat though...as that would be an opportunity we wouldn't often get and it sounds like you would see additional wildlife.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rainforest tours on princess cruise

Welcome to the Ketchikan forum!

Ooh, tough choice! I think you're talking about Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary and Rainforest Island Adventure? The Sanctuary is better organized, there's always someone there to greet you when the bus pulls up, while the bus driver might have to go looking for somebody at Island Adventure. And I would say the guides are more knowledgeable at the Sanctuary. But the boat ride to the island is nice, you might see some harbor seals or other wildlife along the way, and you're really away from everything on the island, whereas you're never that far from the main road at the Sanctuary.

If I had a choice between the two, I would go with Island Adventure.

Hope that helps.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rainforest tours on princess cruise

Thanks for your help!

The ones I have found (so far, anyway) are Alaska Travel Adventures "Wilderness Adventure Cruise and Rainforest Exploration" and ShoreTrips "Orca Beach Rainforest Hike" -- they seem quite similar, so how to decide on one over the other??

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rainforest tours on princess cruise

That's one of the difficult things, different cruise lines often have different names for the same tours. Which ship are you coming on? I thought ATA does Orca Beach, so I'm confused.

ny
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rainforest tours on princess cruise

Thanks. We're leaning toward the island adventure,too. It sounds like more fun and we think we'll be able to see some sea wildlife on the boat ride, as well.

Yukon, OK
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rainforest tours on princess cruise

Just recently got back from an Alaskan tour via Princess Cruise Lines and did the Rainforest Sanctuary Hike and all we saw (alive) were reindeer----did see a sign telling us to beware of the black bears--but they were not "out" that day!!!! No eagles (except one in captivity). I will do the island one the next time !!!!! However, the guide was very knowledgable and a pleasant chap---told us a lot of information as to what we were seeing---but not much wildlife anywhere---the reindeer certainly gave us a Kodak moment thought!!!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rainforest tours on princess cruise

We are on the Coral Princess cruise the week of July 27. I'm not looking at the excursions through Princess though.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rainforest tours on princess cruise

I'm pretty sure that's the same tour. Whether you go directly through ATA or through ShoreTrips, I'm guessing you're expected to get to Knudson Cove (where the inflatable boat leaves from) on your own, which is about 16 miles from the dock.

9. Re: rainforest tours on princess cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 13, 2009