We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycle rental?

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
120 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Bicycle rental?

Thanks to Rainbirdreader for the info about scooter rentals in KetchiKan ( ;-] ) --- since that isn't available, is there any information about bicycle rentals in Ketchikan ... or other personal mobility machines for daily rent? :-)

I *have* googled; the Ketchikan tourist brochure mentions "mountain bikes" but it seems to be in conjunction with a guided tour if at all.

We *can* walk it -- I *have* walked it -- but I thought it would be a bit more fun .... and save a bit of time and make getting out to Totem Bight more convenient!

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycle rental?

I haven't come across anyone who rents bikes in my tourism research. Ketchikan is not a particularly bike friendly town. We do have a few bike paths, but they do not connect well to points of interest. Our hilly topography and relatively narrow highways lined with deep ditches, or parked cars makes biking a challenge. Biking to Totem Bight would be not be for the faint of heart. It is about a twelve mile ride from the middle of downtown on a very busy road with everything from pickup trucks to gravel trucks and tour buses zooming by constantly. Because we basically have one main road, it is busy night and day. I continue to say that the Borough Bus is the best way to get out to the park. It's a great, safe way to go and costs just a $1 each way.

There are electric cars for rent in town but they are not allowed outside the city limits on the highway because they cannot go the 50MPH speed limit. The troopers may ticket you if you are caught driving on the highway.

It may be that you are thinking of Saxman Totem Park when you say "I have walked it." That is actually a really nice walk and after you get past Tatsuda's Grocery Store and the Coast Guard Base there is a bike path along the water almost the full route. It is a two mile walk. I would walk one way and call a cab on the way back from the gift shop.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
120 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycle rental?

Thanks Rainbirdreader -- I meant that I've done the walking tour of Ketchikan -- it is an nice "walkable" City --- and rather than tour on foot, I've kept looking for an alternative way to tour (which will include Totem Bight or Saxman this time), just for fun.

No scooters; no bikes ... so "hoof it" or public transportation it is!

Thanks for the advise re: Totem Bight

3. Re: Bicycle rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 am, November 24, 2009