We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boating option help, please

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
boating option help, please

At the suggestion of Manitoba Maple, I'm re-posting on this forum from my original on the general Alaska forum.

Greetings.

I'm trying to determine my best bet among three options for Ketchikan boat excursions from our cruise in early September.

One goes to Salmon Falls, Clover Pass and Naha Bay.

One goes to George Inlet and Tongass Narrows after visiting Saxman village and the cannery.

The third goes to the White River Valley where one rides atv's in a caravan to Mahoney Falls then return to White River and ride a jet boat back to town.

I'd like to get opinions regarding which of these options would be the most scenic, least likely to produce seasickness and if there is someone who has actually done any of these excursions I'd love to get your feedback on your experience.

All responses appreciated!

Thanks,

Footloose

--And thanks for the re-post suggestion, MM

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boating option help, please

All three tours are scenic. The first is almost all scenery with perhaps a stop for a snack and walk around the lovely Salmon Falls Lodge. The mostly inland waters will be calm enough unless it is a stormy day. The second tour is much more interesting. The George Inlet Cannery is an authentic old cannery on the water, carefully restored in some parts, with a great tour and a chance to actually visualize what life was like here at the turn of the century. There will be snacks and a nice gift shop. The boat ride in on inland waters and there should be lots of scenery and no sea sickness. The third tour will definitely be scenic and prone to motion sickness. I have innner ear problems and I would not like any part of that tour. Jet boat rides are bumpy and noisy. My family loves them and has taken that tour, but I would say no thanks. My choice would be tour number two.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boating option help, please

Thanks so much- I was at a loss about how to compare them!!

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boating option help, please

While I would agree that option two might be the best, I think we're getting our options confused.

The first is "Back Country Jet Boats" (exact name might vary by cruise line) which starts and ends at Salmon Falls, and goes to Naha Bay and Clover Pass among many other places. I've been on that many times, it's always fun, and probably the best for seeing wildlife, and most scenic, but probably not good if you get seasick. They go very fast and make sharp turns. The bus ride is about half an hour each way.

The second is "Best of Ketchikan by Land and Sea" which is part bus (including the stop at Saxman to see the totem poles) and part boat (catamaran). The cannery tour is fun and interesting, and the boat ride is nice.

The third is "Adventure Karts" which, unless your idea of fun is getting wet and muddy on a rainy day (which we have many of, especially in Sept.), you might want to skip. You either bus there or bus back, which is about an hour, with the part closest to White River being a very bumpy logging road. The boat part is a catamaran, not a jet boat.

Hope that helps.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boating option help, please

Thank you so much for your post, rainbirdbrain!!You gave me exactly what I needed in terms of being able to better understand my options...and jetboating with sharp turns is not an option for people like me...."almost old, and definitely decrepit". Nuts, too cuz I was thinking that would be our best for wildlife.

Would you say that we would still have reasonably high expectation for seeing a variety of wildlife on #2 option?

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boating option help, please

Yes, not as much as Jet Boats, but a reasonable chance of something. The boat part is about an hour and a half, so you'll have lots of time to look around.

6. Re: boating option help, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 21, 2009