We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

DH and I will be on the NCL Pearl, and have been on an Alaskan cruise before, 5 years ago. We did the jeep/canoe excursion, which was fun, but cold in the canoe. I'm thinking of renting a car and seeing some sights ourselves as DH is not into small boats since we had a bumpy ride on a catamaran on the way to Capri. The Salmon Falls Resort is as far north as one can drive, suggestions to drive to Harriet Hunt Lake and to Herring Bay also look nice, getting away from the crowds. Comments? It looks like we'll only have about 4 hours.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

Alaska Car Rental has a site:

http://www.akcarrental.com/

and we also have a Budget:

http://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/home/home.ex

so you can find out how much it will cost, and whether they can bring a car to the dock or not. I would also recommend going to Ward Lake, which is not far off the road to Harriet Hunt Lake.

Hope that helps.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

If you end up not renting a car, a couple of other options might be:

1) taking the public bus to Totem Bight totem pole park

borough.ketchikan.ak.us/works/bus_info.htm

Check the blue line route. It leaves hourly from several locations in town

Totem Heritage Center

…ketchikan.ak.us/departments/museums/totem_n…

2) taking a tour with Lois - http://www.classictours.com/. I was almost going to do this during a layover in Ketchikan but decided our time was just a little too short.

John

dallas
Level Contributor
50 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

We did everything but the Tracy Arm Fjord (bummer). The best part of our trip was seeing the historic buildings on Creek Street (complete with a brothel museum) and going to Totem Bight State Park. The state park, which is about 8 miles north of town, is in a serene rainforest next to the coast. Totem poles are all over town, but the park was peaceful. Just remember, it rains a lot out there. Take a disposable poncho or umbrella. FYI-The infamous Bridge to Nowhere site is also in Ketchikan.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

I think it would be really smart for norwega to read some of the zillion posts about Ketchikan and narrow down if she and her husband want to eat/shop, do museums, drive, hike or just bum around. There is far too much to do in Ketchikan for any one response. A guidebook might help, too. I recommend "Alaska Best Places" and "Frommer's Alaska" because they are written by locals. Other guidebooks send people to town for a day or two.

Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

I've rented a car, and plans are to head north, to Settlers Cove State park, and then hiking as far as we want, up Lunch Creek Trail. Since we're on such a big ship, and have been to Ketchikan before, getting away from the crowds and touristy areas was our choice.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

I am going to be in Ketchikan at the end of May during the same time. Are they bringing the car rental to the dock? Which car company did you use? I appreciate any help that you can give me.

Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

I used alaska car rental 907 225 5000

we are to call them when we arrive, and they'll bring the car to the cruise ship terminal, though I just checked on the details, and he said there's a mile of cruise ship terminal, so we most likely will have to walk a bit to get to the car. we'll arrange a meeting point when we call them upon our arrival.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

I called them too and they said that they don't open until 8am and the cruise arrives at 6:30am. They said that I would have to take a taxi to the airport to pick up the car. I wanted to try to do the Totem Bright, Saxman, and the Rainforest Sanctuary as well as try to see some of the town with the walking tour. It may be more efficient to take a taxi or a bus. I am not sure at this point and quite confused.

9. Re: Friday-June 5th 6AM-1:30PM renting a car? What to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, October 13, 2009