We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Pass Scenic Railway

Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
White Pass Scenic Railway

Are tickets readily available the day of travel? I've read that unless you have a clear day the trip isn't worth taking.

Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,792 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Pass Scenic Railway

Actually I have heard that even if the day is cloudy and overcast in Skagway, it is often still beautiful up on the pass. If it is something you really want to do, I would pre-book it. If it is something you can take or leave in case it is booked up, then there is no harm in waiting.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: White Pass Scenic Railway

I usually make a reservation the day before then pay once we get there. There's always a chance that I won't make my reservation due to rough seas, family planning, etc. so I don't like the non-refundable pre-booked tickets at all. I've been sold-out once in the last 10 years, but then we just booked for the next day.

Side note: this is posted in the Ketchikan forum, and the White Pass & Yukon Route train is actually located in Skagway... just FYI.

Happy Alaska Travels!

Level Contributor
50 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Pass Scenic Railway

The railway is very popular and incredibly awesome. It rained and misted on the way up, then it cleared on the way down. Even though it rained and misted, we still loved it.

4. Re: White Pass Scenic Railway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 02, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now