We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

native parks in ketchikan

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
native parks in ketchikan

i just came across potlatch park in ketchikan, but i have only ever heard of totem bight and saxman. it looks pretty good though.

Can anyone compare the three in terms of atmosphere and price?

The lumberjackshow looks very touristy to me, is it really worth it for someone who isn't necessarily looking for a "disney experience"?

And the inside of the cannery looks a bit scarce to me. Is that so?

Thanks for your help.

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: native parks in ketchikan

All three are nice in their own way. I think the native dancing demonstration makes Saxman my favorite, and it has the largest collection of totems in the world. I prefer Totem Bight to Potlatch Park, it has more history and more totems, and is more spread out, for me a better atmosphere. Potlatch Park also has some nice totems, and usually you get to talk to the carver who carved them.

You can hear the people at the Lumberjack Show yelling and cheering all over downtown, so they must be having a pretty good time there. It's kind of a Disney experience.

The cannery tour is nice, there's enough of the old cannery operation left to give you a good idea how it was. There's also a boat portion to the tour which is very nice, and a bus portion which stops in Saxman for 20 minutes.

Hope that helps.

2. Re: native parks in ketchikan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 21, 2009