We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai with small kids

Denver CO
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kenai with small kids

My husband, myself, my parents (mid-50's) and our 2 children 1 and 3 (yes, we are crazy...i know) are going to be in a rented RV on the Kenai Peninsula from Sept 3rd to Sept 13th 2012. We pretty much plan in hitting Seward, Homer, Kenai and everything in between. I am looking for suggestions on anything to do with young children, short 2-4 hour hikes, wildlife viewing, and good fly fishing spots. If you have any recommendations please let me know! Thanks!

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenai with small kids

Get yourself a "Frommer's Alaska" guidebook and start reading up. Too much information for a short post on Trip Advisor for all the communities you are asking about. In addition to all the typical travel info you will read, keep in mind that small town libraries in Alaska also serve as community centers and playrooms for small children. The new library in Homer is spectacular. They make good recreation stops for young children and they often have activities and/or story hours.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenai with small kids

The Kenai Peninsula has it's own visitor information web site. Select any town from the list or map and you'll get some basic info about the town, as well as the link to it's Chamber of Commerce or town web site. Send for a free Visitor Guide.

http://www.kenaipeninsula.org/destinations

Most towns have their own web site to promote tourism. ie www.seward.com

Suggested stops along the Turnagain Arm on your way to Seward: alaska.org/driving/turnagain-arm-drive.htm

Go to the Alaska forum and find a link to trip reports for this year and last. They will be a good resource for you.

Edited: 2:28 am, August 08, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenai with small kids

Seward has a library and a sealife education center that is like a mini-aquarium. In the evenings, leave your kids with your parents and go have a drink at Tony's.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenai with small kids

The Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage might be of interest to you to take a break on your trip south on the Seward highway to see animals:

http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

For sealife & glacier viewing, you can take a day cruise out of Seward if you think your kids can handle it. You know your kids. Or you could take turns on the cruise as some families do, men one day, women the next or any workable combination, with some staying in the Seward city campground with the kids. Lots of nice walks in Seward along the bay to see eagles, sea otters, fishing boats unloading halibut, ice cream, etc. from the city campground. Plus, an easy walk for meals, coffee shops, shopping.

The Sea Life Center in Seward is fun with kids.

Exit Glacier out of Seward is a nice easy walk out to the glacier.

In Homer, the trip across the bay to Seldovia is nice with chances to also see sea life.

In Homer, go to Bishop's beach & adjacent Beluga slough for a walk on the beach & boardwalk of the slough. Often a great bird spot.

The fishermen can take a fishing charter out of either Seward of Homer.

I would make a reservation the first night out of Anchorage for Williwaw USFS Campground. It is by Portage glacier with the Trail of Blue Ice to walk, Portage glacier visitor center, etc.

5. Re: Kenai with small kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, August 21, 2013