We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hiking spot to see Kenai River early salmon run?

hartford, Ct
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best hiking spot to see Kenai River early salmon run?

We are an active family of 4 adults who are not fishermen, but are interested in watching the salmon run in conjunction with a half day (or shorter) hike. Bear sitings would be a bonus! We will be leaving Seward early on June 10 to drive to Homer and would love to fit that hike into our drive. Can anyone recommend a hike for us that would allow us to see the Kenai River early salmon run? Thanks for all of your help!

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Homer
Homer
Alaska
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,128 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hiking spot to see Kenai River early salmon run?

I was amazed the first time I saw Kenai River....it is filled with glacial silt and you cannot actually SEE the fish.......lots of people fish there successfully, so I guess the salmon can see better than we do to find the bait.......I'm sure someone can help suggest a trail for you........

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hiking spot to see Kenai River early salmon run?

The Russian River which meets the Kenai River is clear. There may be some 1st run red salmon going up then. Folks hike to Russian river falls to look for salmon going up to spawn. It's a wide, easy trail.

Mentioned in this post
Russian River
Russian River
105 Reviews
Kenai, AK
Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hiking spot to see Kenai River early salmon run?

russian river is best bet but it will be dependent on the salmon runs

you can check here for up to date counts to track the runs

www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm…

there are also some streams closer to Homer that may have some salmon at that time. don't recall the names but we spent some time snagging reds there with some friends from Wasilla one time

Mentioned in this post
Homer
Homer
Alaska
4. Re: Best hiking spot to see Kenai River early salmon run?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, June 18, 2013