We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward or Homer?

California
Level Contributor
32 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Seward or Homer?

We don't have time to do both. just a few days in an RV. any opinions out there. its our first trip. mostly want to enjoy the beauty of nature. i would like to do a half-day kayacking tour with icebergs and whales. any suggestions for that and also hikes and scenery. thanks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward or Homer?

I would say Seward, since it would save you 3 hrs of driving, and it will support your interests and activities.

Drive times (and other info)

alaska.org/gettingaround/alaska-transportati…

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward or Homer?

You didn't say where you are coming from. The distance from Anchorage to Seward is about 125 miles, and to Homer it is 225 miles. Between Seward and Homer it is about 175 miles. Both have kayaking but in the Homer area there are no tidewater glaciers

Soldotna, Alaska
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward or Homer?

I think you could still see both places. Do your thing in Seward and if you have time head on down to Homer for the day. It's only three hours away and I dont think you'll be dissapointed in the views.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward or Homer?

Two "must do" items...

Visit the Exit Glacier in Kenai Fjords National Park just out of Seward. You can drive to the park headquarters and then, if you don't do anything else, at least take the very easy (wheelchair assessable) 1/2 mile walk to the Scenic View site....

…photobucket.com/albums/…119.jpg

Also, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at the end of Turnagain Arm...

…photobucket.com/albums/…102.jpg

http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

Rest of photo's from our Aug. 2011 visit...

…photobucket.com/albums/…

PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seward or Homer?

Since you "mostly want to enjoy the beauty of nature", I would say Homer is far above Seward a scenic destination.

See my comments on Homer at

…wordpress.com/2011/08/21/homer-alaska/

You will love Homer! Enjoy your trip.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seward or Homer?

As k2iks said, if you want to kayak out among glaciers that would be Seward, not Homer.

Folks, it sure helps us if you keep all your inquiries in one post so we don't have to look back :)

Edited: 10:28 am, August 21, 2011
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seward or Homer?

Just like k2iks and denalicat said, if you want to do half-day kayacking with icebergs and whales, then Seward is the choice. As for the beauty of nature, personally I will rate Homer slightly higher than Seward just because it’s silence & solitude. Don’t get me wrong actually Seward is pretty too and think about it, when a city just next to Kenai Fjords NP (http://www.nps.gov/kefj/index.htm), Exit Glacier (nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier.htm) and Harding Icefield (nps.gov/kefj/…harding_icefield_trail.htm). Woooo, this city got to be very beautiful… The only Seward’s setback is way too crowd because so close to Anchorage and tourist from cruise line. But well, that’s good for the local economy. :-)

As for Homer, too many good stuff but kind of far from Anchorage (5 hours driving). But definitely these 5 hours driving is definitely worth the effort…

The Halibut Fishing Capital of the World. If you like fishing, CAN’T MISS..

The Alaska’s Art Capital. If you like art, don’t miss Pratt Museum (http://www.prattmuseum.org/)

Kachemak Bay State Park (dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/kbay/kbay.htm). If you like hiking, CAN’T MISS…

If you like bakery, don’t miss Two Sisters Bakery (http://www.twosistersbakery.net/Bakery.html). Soooo yummy…

Anyhow, you will not regret for either place…

Ryan

Edited: 12:18 pm, August 22, 2011
J24
Northern California
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seward or Homer?

We just got back last week. We spent 4 days in Seward. Although we intended to go to Homer, we never made it. We found too much to do in Seward.

To kayak among the glaciers, you'll need all day. Book a trip with Kayak Adventures Worldwide and they will take you via water taxi to Aialik Bay where you can kayak near the glaciers. The water taxi trip to and from will likely take you past some interesting sea life (orcas, whales, sea birds, otters, sea lions...). The half day kayak trips don't get out to the glaciers.

Take a helicopter ice hiking trip with Exit Glacier Guides. This was one of the coolest things we did. They are right near the Seward harbor and the helicopter flies right from the Seward airstrip a few minutes away. You can do this in a half day if you want to head to Homer after.

Hike Exit Glacier and/or the Harding Ice Field. Exit Glacier Guides runs a $10 shuttle to/from Exit Glacier if you want to leave the RV parked. You'll need most of the day to hike to Harding Ice Field and you might consider Exit Glacier Guides for this as well. The Exit Glacier parking area has a ton of space for big RVs so you can do this on your way in or out as well.

There are some good places to eat in Seward. Two we liked were the Railway Cantina (cheap, good mexican with an Alaskan flair) and Ray's on the waterfront.

Finally we parked our RV in the Seward City Campground right on the beach in the main part of Seward. Great view, very convenient. They have sites with electricity and water but we were only there for 4 days so we got a "dry" site. The dry site section had fewer people camping in it.

I am not affiliated with any of the above businesses -- just a satisfied, recent customer.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seward or Homer?

Great ideas, Northern Cal!

We too love the Seward city campground. We back our cabover camper up to the water & enjoy. I like to climb Mt. Marathon while hubby watches the fishermen come in. We both love to watch the sea otters float back & forth.

We love coffee & baked goods at Resurrect Art cafe & gallery:

http://www.resurrectart.com/index-nn.htm

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seward or Homer?

AWWW - the Seward city campground - my favorite campground of all 50 states! Catching a view of the sea otters out the camper window early in the morning got me up earlier than anything ever has!! Can't wait to go back! Homer is great - but I'll opt for Seward.