We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

Which Kenai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

We are renting an RV on June 9th and have 8 nights from Anchorage to the Kenai Peninsula (Seward, Homer).

We plan to hike every day so we would like suggestions for scenic hikes that are moderate in difficulty, between 3-8 miles in length. We will consider steeper hikes if the scenery is stupendous but I have a foot that needs surgery so I should really take it easy.

We hike in the rain in Oregon so weather won't deter us unless it is so muddy it would be more like slip and slide than hiking.

What are your favorite hikes, please?

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

Glen Alps above Anchorage on the hillside is magnificent & has all kinds of possibilities. Hidden Valley & Lake is nice as is the Football Field/O'Malley.

The Turnagain Arm Trail from McHugh just south of Anchorage is pretty along the Turnagain Arm.

Falls Creek Trail is also nice.

On the Kenai toward Seward, Johnson Pass Trail & Primrose Trail to Lost Lake are beautiful. The color of Lost Lake is magnificent!

On the Kenai toward Homer, Russian Lakes Trail (with a side trip to Russian Falls) is nice as is Juneau Falls (Resurrection Trail from Sterling Hwy)

Hope is worth the stop & there is the Resurrection Trail northern end or the Gull Rock Trail.

Here is a link to all of the hikes above so you can read about each one:

www.alaskahikesearch.com/search_hikes.htm

Happy hiking!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

And of course it is always good to read up to be bear-aware hiking up here:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/bears.htm

Keep an eye out for moose too. In spring the cows can be very protective of their new young.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,302 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

The walk/hike into the Russian River Falls (near Cooper Landing) is very easy (2 to 3 miles one way). The falls are very nice (a nice viewing platform at the end). You'll probably be to early to see salmon jumping; but there's plenty of nice scenery along this trail.

For another good, easy hike, try the Winner Creek trail (see: www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/Winner.htm ). The creek is really cool scenery & there's a hand tram is quite fun. (this is really easy & worthwhile if you join the trail at the "mine entrance" - see description on the web link above)

Another great easy hike (walk) is Byron Glacier (near Portage Glacier). Take a couple of plastic trash bags in your pocket & you can "sled" down the snow banks that should still be there in early June.

Good luck & enjoy,

Scott

Denver
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

I checked out the hiking web site. I see the Alyeska hikes but wondering what else is in that area. We will be spending 1 night at the hostel there after leaving denali and heading to Seward.

If you could do 1 day hike between Girdwood and Seward what would it be?

Thanks.

Steve

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

Thanks for your suggestions. I really wish tripadvisor would bring back the "save to file" option that they got rid of over a year ago!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

travlust.... All the southcentral hikes are there. You have to go to the drop- down menu to see all of them. Then simply click on the hike to see the picture & info.

If I could do only 1 hike it would be Lost Lake out of the Primrose Trail.

Edited: 2:45 pm, March 19, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,302 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

If I could only do 1 hike between Girdwood & Seward I'd hike to the Harding Icefield. The trailhead is at Exit Glacier, near Seward (see: nps.gov/kefj/…harding_icefield_trail.htm ).

This is a difficult hike (4 miles one way with a gain in elevation of about 4,000 ft), with spectacular views along the way & even more amazing scenery at the top. My wife & are are in mediocre physical condition & this was an 8hr roundtrip venture for us (with 1 hr up top staring in amazement).

Scott

Denver
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

Actually the Harding icefield is already planned since we are staying in Sewar for 3 nights. Kayak 1 day.

Thanks Cat. I did see that but was looking for opinions to narrow it down. This is the drawback to booking vacation 6 months in advance. Lots of time to think about things but no descision matters until you get there.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

travlust, are you saying you are staying at a hostel near Alyeska in Girdwood?

I am confusing your post with the OP who wants less steep & down on the Kenai.

The Crow's Pass trail up to the glaciers is magnificent, high alpine tundra, glaciers, beautiful lake, mine ruins, waterfall. It's about 4 miles from Girdwood trailhead to Crystal Lake & a short hike from there on the main trail to Raven Glacier:

www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/CrowPass.htm

That would be my first choice of hike, since I like to climb up into the high tundra for the views.

My second choice would be Devil's Creek Trail to Devil's Pass:

www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/DevilPass.htm

Edited: 10:01 pm, March 19, 2010
Merrimack, NH
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Hikes Between Anchorage and Seward or Homer?

I would like to second Scott's reply - have done bot the Winner Creek Trail and the Russian River Falls Trail - both are very nice especially the latter. If you do get a chance to do the the RRF Trail, be sure to hike the Lower Russian Lake spur as well. For a preview of some of the scenery and wildlife you may see on the hike, feel free to check out the slide show video set to music that I did of that hike at:

www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow…

My favorite hike on the Kenai Peninsula was the Upper Kerai River Trail - trailhead is accessible from Skilak Lake Rd, a loop road that connects to Sterling Hwy at MPs 58 and 75. The scenery is awesome - especially look down on the jade green Kenai River gorge from above. Hidden Creek Trail to Skilak Lake is also a rewarding hike accessible from Skilak Lake Rd. I've documented these two experiences at:

www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow…

Happy trails - you're gonna love Alaska.