We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai Peninsula itinerary

North Carolina
Level Contributor
98 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Kenai Peninsula itinerary

My family and I (3 people, parents and 16 year old son) will be traveling to Alaska and the Kenai Peninsula in late June/early July and I would like input on our suggested itinerary. We love the outdoors, like to hike, trail riding, and fishing. We wanted to take advantage of the opportunities to do all of these activities while we were visiting Alaska. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am planning this trip on my own.

Day one (Friday, June 25)- arrive in Anchorage (3:30 pm), pick up rental car and go to Wal-Mart for supplies. Head out toward Renfro’s Lakeside Retreat (we will be staying here for the entire trip). Possible stops south of Anchorage are milepost 110, Beluga Point , milepost 96, Bird Point. (Any other suggestions of places to stop?)

Day two (Saturday, June 26) - visit to the Alaska Sealife Center and spend the day visiting the town of Seward, including a walking tour. (Other Seward activities that should not be missed?)

Day three (Sunday, June 27)- head over to the town of Cooper Landing for horseback riding, gold panning and a float water trip with Alaskan Horsemen.

Day four (Monday, June 28)- Kenai Fjords National Park boat tour including Fox Island.

Day five (Tuesday, June 29)- Exit Glacier/Harding Ice Field.

Day six (Wednesday, June 30)- all day halibut fishing charter with Alaska Coastal Ventures (previously Puffin Fishing Charters)

Day seven (Thursday, July 1)- spend the day exploring more of the of the Kenai Peninsula to include hiking to Russian River Falls, driving the Swanson River Rd. , visiting the Wildlife Refuge Visitor’s Center driving the Funny River Rd. a visit to the city of Kenai and possibly a drive on the Marathon Rd. (Other suggested hikes, Kenai activities?)

Day eight (Friday, July 2)-headed back to Anchorage for flight home, with a stop at Milepost 79, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center,

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenai Peninsula itinerary

Sounds like a really fun-filled trip to the Kenai.

You'll have to give us a trip report about Renfro's. I love Moose Pass area.

Renfro's is probably about a 150 mile drive to Homer if you want to go beyond the town of Kenai.

There are numerous hiking trails in the Moose Pass area. Primrose is a nice taste of the rainforest:

http://www.moosepass.net/hiking.html

http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/index.htm

Edited: 9:46 am, March 19, 2010
North Carolina
Level Contributor
98 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenai Peninsula itinerary

Thanks so much for the hiking information, we are so excited about our trip to Alaska. We are renting a cabin from Renfro's for the duration of our stay and they have been extremely helpful, sharing lots of information about the area in preparation for our visit.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenai Peninsula itinerary

I had never heard of Renfro's until now but that looks like an ideal place to base yourself from for your itinerary.

Unless you are hiking the Harding Icefield Trail, you don't need all of Day 5 for that. You could easily visit Exit Glacier on Saturday June 26th. If you are planning on the Harding Icefield Trail hike, you might want to consider switching Day 2 and Day 5. A park ranger leads a hike up this trail on Saturdays. In the past it has started the first Saturday in July, but if they happen to start it the last Saturday in June this year, it would be something to consider.

Also, a hike on the glacier with Exit Glacier Guides would be fun.

Depending on when your flight is, you might consider stopping in Girdwood on Day 8. There is a nice trail there (Winner Creek Trail) with a unique hand tram to get you across the gulley.

John

North Carolina
Level Contributor
98 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenai Peninsula itinerary

I really appreciate this information, we are definitely planning to hike the Harding ice Field Trail so I will check with the National Park Service to confirm when their ranger guided hikes begin. Ouf flight home leaves at 7:30 pm, so your suggestion of stopping in Girdwood would let us fit one last adventure in before we leave.

5. Re: Kenai Peninsula itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 16, 2010