We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai in September.

Hopewell Junction...
4 posts
Save Topic
Kenai in September.

HI planning to visit Kenai in september. My questions would we be able to still watch the Bear's catching Salmon? Where would be the best place to go? Where to stay?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Kenai in September.

Hi again - I would thing you should be able to take a shuttle bus through mid September - check the National Park Service web site for exact dates of operation. Personally, I would not want to drive on parts of the road-even if I won the park lottery - very steep and narrow in many places- I'd rather leave it to a professional - the drivers are so informative as well and can spot wildlife you might miss.

Also, if it works for you - find the dates on the Alaska State Fair in Palmer, it was held in September when we were there and we had a blast- loved the enormous veggies and fruits! (and tons of other stuff)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kenai in September.

Shuttle bus services shut down in Denali Sept. 11 this year.

There is a Denali road lottery for the coveted drive-in with private vehicles. The only trouble is that the lottery drawing isn't until the 2nd week of August; so it's nothing you can plan a year ahead.

Hopewell Junction...
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Kenai in September.

Thank you for all your comments.. we most probably head up toward Denali on 9th and spend atleast 3 days there and then head up to fairbanks and down to kenai area. It would be great help if you can suggest some lodging options in Fairbanks and Denali..

In Kenai area, we are planning to visit Seward,coopers landing, Kenai, Homer and then spend few days in Anchorage. We will try to head to Kodiak but that is not finalized yet.. since the boat ride is pretty long. Any suggestions for the Photography or wildlife viewing in Kenai would be great..

I am getting excited.. it has been my dream to visit Alaska for a long time.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kenai in September.

With just 16 days I am not sure that I would try to include Kodiak, especially if you are taking the ferry but even if you are flying. But if you skip Fairbanks then it would be more realistic.

On the Kenai Peninsula go to Seward and take a 6 hour or longer Kenai Fjords NP cruise. You will get to see wildlife as well as a glacier. You might also consider a Prince William Sound cruise as well. This emphasizes glaciers.

I would encourage you to consider two trips into Denali NP, which basically requires 3 nights there - arrive day 1, shuttle bus trips on days 2 and 3, depart day 4. That way you have more chances to see wildlife (it is not a zoo), greater chances for better weather and greater chance to see the Mountain. I usually suggest going to Wonder Lake but going to Eielson is OK - just that often there are moose between Eielson and Wonder Lake and I have also seen bears and caribou in that area as well.

What type of lodging are you looking for?

John

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,532 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kenai in September.

I did previously post places to stay in Healy - Healy is a small community just north of Denali Park - it's about 11 miles, but gives you a wider choice of lodging at a significant savings. I already posted one site to check. Here is the other site: http://www.alaskaone.com/healy/ If you need more help for our area, just let me know! :)

16. Re: Kenai in September.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, October 04, 2009