We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mi casa - no bueno

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,130 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
mi casa - no bueno

Mi Casa has always been one of my favorite places to eat in Juneau........buuuut, we were there a couple of weeks ago and I had ordered their halibut tacos (usually wonderful).......the tortillas were basically just dipped in warm oil, not cooked, and there was only about 1 tablespoon at most of chopped halibut in each......what an incredible greasy mess, I sent it back to be recooked and it was returned to me about 10 minutes later, judging by the cold temperatures of everything on the plate I was positive that nothing had been done except the the dish was set down somewhere in the kitchen for 10 minutes.......when the waiter came around and asked how everything was I said you used to have really good halibut tacos, what happened.......he mumbled something about a new cook.......meanwhile my daughter is stranded in Juneau due to the weather and happened to mention that she had dinner at Mi Casa and it was dreadful......I had always recommended this restaurant to people before, but will not go there myself anymore or recommend it.......so sorry to see a great place go downhill.......

To All you Juneau-ites: do you have any suggestions of good restaurants near the airport ?......Looking for a few new favorites that we can count on........Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Long Island
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mi casa - no bueno

In short, no. I just posted in another thread about how we (Juneauites) have come to expect poor service and overpriced meals. I forgot to mention that it's nearly impossible to get good food in restaurants here!

I agree with your review of Mi Casa. We went there for brunch the other morning, and it was DREADFUL. And it's soooo expensive.

If you don't mind super quick (and cheap) food, there's a new place in the Nugget Mall called "La Salsa." They have a very small menu, but they make these huge burritos that are TO DIE for, and only like $6!

Other than that, there's not really anything I'd recommend in Juneau, especially near the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mi casa - no bueno

Add me to the "used to love Mi Casa, now it's awful" list...

Here's my regular dining list, with comments - note, they're not in any particular order, just comments on the places I eat:

1) The Hot Bite - great burgers and shakes when they're open. Usually summers only.

2) Chan's Thai Kitchen - crummy service in a run-down place, but the food is great. They're not open during what I would call "normal" days or hours.

3) Udder Culture - in the Mendenhall Mall. Decent soups and sandwiches. The chili dog weighs about 9 pounds (I'm exaggerating just a little...)

4) Donna's - greasy spoon diner food at its greasiest. Other than the fact that I know the wait staff there, I keep wanting to call the servers "Flo"...

5) The Vallley Restaurant - ICK!... but at 2 am, where else are you gonna go?... well, the drive-thru at McDonald's is open.

6) Canton House - recently re-modeled, so it looks nice. Food is so-so standard asian/american restaurant cooking. They have a habit of "stacking" your order, so the entree is being served while you're still having a drink and appetizer.

7) Seongs Sushi Bar - I eat fish. Seong's family is quite nice.

8) Zen - Canton House revisited. They tried to go up-scale asian/fusion... it's really just Canton House downtown!

9) Hangar - Good beer selection. I don't care for the food, and I won't repeat what's already been said about their food.

10) Twisted Fish Co. - Same owners, same staff, same basic menu...it's the Hangar's second location. Used to be great when it was Georgio's At The Pier, but now I've revealed more about my age than anyone needs to know!

11) Red Dog Saloon - Great BBQ and Prime Rib in the winters. Decent Sandwiches and hokey entertainment in the summers. In winter, don't worry if the place looks deserted. Nobody seems to know it's even open, or that things are different without 15,000 tourists visiting every day!

12) El Sombrero, Olivias, Fernando's - 3 Mexican joints that used to be owned by the same family... menus are similar, service is so-so... I go to El Sombrero for the view when I want to "people watch". My wife likes the Mexican Pizza at Fernando's

13) Baranof Hotel Gold Room - I'm annoyed at the Gold Room. They stopped carrying veal. Service used to be great, by Juneau standards, now it's just so-so.

14) Wild Spice - Most folks enjoy the "build your own meal in a bowl and we'll cook it for you" concept. I didn't. If I wanted to build my own meal, I would cook at home!

15) Zephyr - I've only been there the day they opened recently. Great service, but they were new too... I'll try there again in a few months.

Don't get me wrong here... I've had great meals and great service in every one of these places. I've also had horrid food and no service in each one of these places. The name of the game in Juneau is that nothing will be consistent. Expect the worst, and I guess you'll be pleasantly surprised from time to time!

-Case

Mentioned in this post
Red Dog Saloon
Red Dog Saloon
2,020 Reviews
Juneau, AK
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
3. Re: mi casa - no bueno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 19, 2009