We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nugget Falls

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Nugget Falls

Does anyone have directions to Nugget Falls from Juneau? Thanks!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nugget Falls

From where in Juneau ?.....Will you have a car, be downtown at the boat dock, out at the airport ?....

If a cruise passenger or downtown w/o a car, the MGT blue buses run out to Mendenhall Glacier during the summer months......every 30 minutes......take one of those, get off at the Visitors Center at the glacier and follow the signs to the falls.......

If you have a car, or if it is not summer.....drive out the Egan Highway from downtown until you see the Mendenhall Glacier sign......

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nugget Falls

Thanks!

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nugget Falls

Does this help:

www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tongass/recarea/…

Halifax, UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nugget Falls

Can you also advise whether the trail up to photo point and nugget falls are suitable for push chairs.

We are planning to go up to photo point and may be up to nugget falls,; we have a small baby so would be inclined to use push chair on a fairly easy trail.

I guess the elevation on the photo point trail is small roughly about 10 feet, can you advise how much is elevation of trail that takes us to nugget falls and any thoughts on how long is the trail from visitor centre and back. i guess if we could do photo point trail and walk up to the falls.. any info would be useful

Plainfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nugget Falls

I did not make it out there last year when I was in town. I heard they redid the trail about a year ago and made it a little better than it was when I was out there two years ago.

The trail is fairly smooth without much elevation change. The last time I was on it, the trail was mostly hard packed gravel and soil. The very end near the falls has some rocks, loose gravel, and sand. The trail is wide and easy going. Based on when I last walked the trail 2 years ago, I'd say you could use a baby stroller for most of the trail. You might have to carry the baby at the very end to get close to the falls as the sand/gravel might be a little soft to walk across with the stroller.

The trail is about 3/4 mile each direction from the area by the visitors center. I tell people to expect about 15 minutes walking each way and about 15 minutes at the end of the trail for pictures and to see the falls (about 45 minutes total).

Depending on the time of year you are going, there is a trail off of the 2nd parking lot away from the glacier called the Steep Creek Trail. It is an easy asphalt and boardwalk trail. I always recommend people take a quick stroll there as black bears tend to hang out on the area. You might get lucky and get to see a bear :)

6. Re: Nugget Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, May 28, 2015